Changing Fuel Filter on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sham-man

Changing Fuel Filter on Xantia

Post by Sham-man »

Any advice from anyone? Its a 2.0lt 16V 99 model. Was just going to pop off the clips, plug in new filter...am I missing anything?? any good hints for taking the clips off???
Cheers
Craig
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

It's while since I did mine, but I do remember how easy it was. Took me about 15 seconds tops!
Jamie
Thregwort
My Cars:

Post by Thregwort »

Yup, just nip the old clips with cutters, wiggle out the tube ends, no great fuel spillage, pop the replacement in with new worm drive clamps and clean fuel is yours.
My motor no longer clogs up and coughs if I go below 1/4 tank and money saved on injector cleaning Redex etc.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Hold on before cutting the pipes!
My 97 Xantia (and my wife's '97 306) use the same filter. Both have the latest "quick release" connectors.
These are square in cross section and have a button on one of the flats which you press. The connector will then slid off. Check you have the right type of replacement filter. Halfords can sell you the wrong type. Andyspares sell the correct quick release type.
Beware - there is a residual pressure in the system. Possibly best to let this subside for several hours before starting work - other wise the petrol sprays everywhere - fire hazard!
Thregwort
My Cars:

Post by Thregwort »

Sorry, should have been more specific,
Depressurise the petrol line pre any sort of work.
The simple way is to remove the fuel pump fuse and start the engine.
The motor will run for a few seconds then die through lack of fuel.
Then release the clips or chop them off (not the pipes!)fit new filter
and new clips. Replace fuse and start the engine. Check for leaks and you're done.
The Halfords filter selection booklet gives two possible units: in practice, the only difference is in length and girth, and then only a few mm. I bought the 'wrong' one but made it fit snugly with a piece of cardboard wrapped around as a shim. The support strap then tightens sufficiently to hold it in place.
Sham-man

Post by Sham-man »

Its certainly the quick-release clip, a nice idea and took no time at all. Didn't bother depressurising the system...didn't even think about it to be honest! The hardest part was finding a screwdriver that fits the star-head screw! The car still works as well so I must have put the filter in the right way. Thanks for the advice guys!