Xantia alloys

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Karl

Xantia alloys

Post by Karl »

I`ve been offered some alloys from a 96 Xantia they are 15". I`ve got 14" steel rims on my Xantia, will there be any advantages for going for th 15" apart from cosmetics....ie handling
I take it I can use the same bolts from the 14" on them?
Kered

Post by Kered »

I've had a VSX since 1995 which came with alloys. The handling will be better as you will have to fit low profile tyres to get the same rolling radius. In other words the final diameter of the 14" and 15" with tyres will be the same. Low profile means less wall to flex on cornering thus better roadholding. The downside is that the tyre is less supple (due to lower wall height) so the ride is harder.
The other downside is that alloys corrode where water seeps in between the rim and the tyre. This causes air loss akin to a slow puncture.
Personally I wouldn't have alloys again due to corrosion and higher tyre prices.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No you can't use the bolts from Citroen steel wheels on their alloys, the bolt heads for steel wheels are the normal taper type and the alloys are a flat type, they are also different lengths to account for the thicker alloy wheel so not compatible at, the thread if you want to go ahead with it is 12mm x 1.25mm.
Was a post on here recently with a link to a usefull site for this type of thing, can't remember what it was though, perhaps someone with a better memory will step in[:)]
Here's one to check out your replacement tyre sizes though.
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
Dave