Xantia Stop light flickering on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sweyn

Xantia Stop light flickering on

Post by sweyn »

On heavyish braking and cornering the stop light flickers on, then off again on lifting off the brakes or coming out of the corner.
I'm concerned this might be a hydraulic problem - should I be ? or is it normal behaviour ?
Suspension appears to be OK on engine start up - front lifts, then back, then front adjusts. When changing ride height suspension appears to respond normally.
Brakes are fine on startup once suspension has levelled.
Any suggestions ?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Top up your LHM........
Its running low on LHM and under braking and cornering it will slosh around in the reservoir causing the level to fall around the sensor. Give it 1/2 litre into the reservoir and the flickering will go away.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Same applies to the motor oil. If the oil level is low it will do the same with the engine oil as with the LHM described by reffro above.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As suggested above :
CHECK the engine oil level on the dipstick ASAP [:0]
- then another problem may be a missing damper disc in the reservoir float.
The float in the bulb that indicates LHM reservoir level - is sliding in a separate tube within the reservoir filter/manifold unit.
This tube is blanked off at bottom with a coin-size plastic disc - with a hole allowing the LHM flowing slowly in/out - thus damping off the fluid level movements during drive.
This disc may sometimes be found at the bottom of the reservoir - where it does no good [:)]
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

hi sweyn
it may also be worth checking the level of the coolant as the stop light will illuminate if the coolant is too low. yours may be just low enough that the light flickers or maybe the coolant level switch needs replaced.
GOOD LUCK
steve k