c5 suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

grabo

c5 suspension

Post by grabo »

i have been told to scrap my mot failed 2002 Citroen c5 2.2 diesel,best car ive had,failed on NSF fluid suspension unit leaking,OSF fluid suspension unit leaking,OSR fluid suspension unit leaking,NSR fluid suspension unit slightly deteriorated,can this be tested ive had it set at maximum height for 4 days it has not moved a mm, drives like a dream,i read the seals can go any idea of the cost and difficulty in changing them would be welcome,thx in advance
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: c5 suspension

Post by Peter.N. »

Unless the leak is serious I would be inclined to take it to another garage. If you do need to replace the units they are available for not a lot of money on ebay.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Get the car cleaned up before you take it again, can't fail if there is no sign of a leak :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

it is probably the gaiters leaking, that or return pipes come adrift.
grabo

Post by grabo »

Peter.N. wrote:Unless the leak is serious I would be inclined to take it to another garage. If you do need to replace the units they are available for not a lot of money on ebay.

Peter
going to another garage tomorrow fingers crossed give em a good clean up hardly any sign of a leak before i cleaned em up anyway'
grabo

Post by grabo »

myglaren wrote:it is probably the gaiters leaking, that or return pipes come adrift.
cleaned gaiters etc took it to another garage sailed through game on
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What a throw away society this world has become when a perfectly good 10 year old car is recommended to be scrapped due to a few minor oil leaks in some rubber boots. :shock: :roll:

Sometimes I think these garages are dead lazy, and aren't interested in any jobs that are more difficult than fitting expensive off the shelf components that they can charge high margins for. :roll:

You would think that an ongoing world recession would reverse the trend towards an increasingly throw away society where nobody can be bothered fixing or maintaining anything, at least temporarily, but apparently not! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

If you use a garage that knows about Citroen suspension they will know the difference between a small leak that is not a problem and when it's a big leak!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I took my V6 into a local Citroen dealer for the MOT largely because I didn't want any bull about the suspension not working properly from garages that don't know any better. :roll: :lol:

Back in New Zealand MOT day (or warrant of fitness as we called it) was always an amusing and frustrating experience with a Citroen, Citroens being very uncommon there the suspension always caught them off guard.

They'd be scratching their heads when the rear of the car would jump off the brake testing machine like a spring due to the height corrector compensating for the brake dive, they'd be puzzled when they couldn't get their jack out from under the car due to jacking the car up letting the pressure out of the suspension, and they'd be checking the headlight aim without any regard for leaving the engine running, or avoiding getting in and out of the car...

Fun times... :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Indeed, people who know nothing about Citroens will give them a harder time come MOT time, as they simply dont understand them.

It is not uncommon for the front stuts on a C5 to look slightly damp with the car in the high position.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
grabo

Post by grabo »

So anyway i took my c5 to a different garage after changing all brake pads for the hell of it,i suspected it would pass this time, and cleaning suspension up,which did not look that bad to me anyway,and you guessed it,PASSED,and i can say this garage was very maticulous,i watched his every move,so basically the first garage ripped me off for £44 (-expletive removed-) how do you deal with this bollox. [-X
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Complain to the DVLA about the first tester.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote:Complain to the DVLA about the first tester.

Not a good idea, they'll require you to produce your car at the station for their own inspector to go through it with the original tester and who knows what they might find?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Bob1954

Post by Bob1954 »

bencowell wrote:If you use a garage that knows about Citroen suspension they will know the difference between a small leak that is not a problem and when it's a big leak!
The pressures involved with Cit hydraulics are so colossal that were it a real system leak, it would could/would never have been taken for MOT in the first place, as it would have made a problem quite apparent. Citroen strut problems show up obviously such as when the leakage return pressure is high enough to will blow the pipe from the gaiter. Only had that problem once in 40 years.

The procedures for MOT presume traditional shock absorbers leak prior to failure, and a dusty or wet gaiter is an obvious indicator of a prior or current problem.
A experienced MOT tester will examine Citroen hydraulics outwith the strict interpretation of procedure, and wipe down a suspicious area to see if it weeps.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

myglaren wrote:Complain to the DVLA about the first tester.
VOSA Steve :roll: :-D :wink:

also if the strut/cylinder seals were leaking the car would sink as soon as the engine was switched of
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years