Dispatch driveshaft noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ito

Dispatch driveshaft noise

Post by ito »

Hi, I have a Citroen Dispatch, year 2000. When under load, ie going up a steep incline, there is a noise which is rotational in nature and sounds like a dodgy driveshaft, I have changed both driveshafts(New) but noticed that there is some play in the long driveshaft w.r.t. the centre bearing in relation to it and the housing which it sits in (which is also the rear engine mounting), to clamp up the bearing there are two 'toggle' bolts which, I presume, should bolt the outer race of this bearing tight in the housing, well, even done up extra tight (and, yes, the correct way round) there is still looseness which I am sure is the cause of the noise. Any ideas? thanks!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Dispatch driveshaft noise

Post by citronut »

are the hocky stick/toggle bolts bent trough maybe previously being overtightened
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ito

Post by ito »

Thanks for replying and the idea, just taken one out, its straight with the toggle at 90 degrees so not the problem, on reflection I have had some difficulty in the past knocking these bearings out because they always seem to stick, but this one went in real easy although I would have thought that the togglebolts or hockey sticks should still hold it firmly in place. I suppose what I am trying to avoid is taking out the driveshaft and lower mounting and bolting it altogether off the vehicle, might actually be able to see what is going on then.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Has the bearing siezed and is rotating in the housing?

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are the nuts on the hocky stick bolts running out of thread before pulling the bearing fully home,
if so add some washers under the nuts
Regards, malcolm.

ito

Post by ito »

Hi, first thing I looked at, thread still visible but put an extra washer on anyway - no result!
ito

Post by ito »

As regards the bearing, I replaced the driveshaft with a new one recently, thinking it would cure the noise not knowing where exactly it was coming from although the clue was it was about roadwheel speed (I didnt know about the looseness of the bearing in its housing at that time), both old and new bearings not seized! This is a really good website for us with obscure problems, in fact I havent come across a better one. Thank you all! I'm off to France today for a month with no internet access, heres hoping that your weather will be as good as mine!! I think it is necessary, when I actually do the dismantling there, to post a solution (ha, theres confidence!) on my return.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the cola on the shaft firstly tight against bearing and secondly protruding through the bearing housing on the back of the engine by any amount
Regards, malcolm.

ito

Post by ito »

Just to finish, I removed the driveshaft and the centre bearing housing to see what was going on, the toggles were fully home but still some lateral movement, and when dismantled the reason was either a. the driveshaft bearing was slightly narrower (only about 1.5mm) or at some point due to loose toggles, some of the aluminium had worn away, although there was no evidence of this. Solution was to use a spring steel packing ring to take up the difference, Voila, sans noise! The item that fitted almost perfectly is shown in the picture, easy enough for me to find amongst my bits and pieces, its from a Morris 1000 gearbox (stainless steel spring ring), dimensions are a bit critical but this fitted (with some persuasion). If I had not solved this problem the bearing would have eventually chewed up the housing because of the movement under load. I can imagine this problem is not unique to my van.
Attachments
Morris Minor gearbox spring ring
Morris Minor gearbox spring ring