Fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kookysaphire

Fluid leak

Post by kookysaphire »

Need some advise, I have a fluid leak coming from under the break pedal. When you press the pedal in you can see the fluid running down at the back of it. Any ideas on finding and solving the problem. K reg xantia 2L 8v
THANX[V]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Oh dear. Your brake (doseur) valve is knackered. Only solution is to change it. New valve about £100 from GSF. Fitting it? Nightmare probably (although probably much better on an 8V petrol that a TD!). Basically depressure system, unbolt pipes from valve in engine bay, unbolt valve from inside car and remove from under bonnet. Refitting is the reverse of removal, but you'll need to bleed the brakes, which probably means 4 new calipers on what is now a 12 year old car when you round/snap the bleed nipples off.
Bad luck!
Richard
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

Oh dear. Your brake (doseur) valve is knackered....Refitting is the reverse of removal, but you'll need to bleed the brakes, which probably means 4 new calipers on what is now a 12 year old car when you round/snap the bleed nipples off.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font size="2">..unless you live near Darling Downs, Australia - although a look at alan's http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3700 might help</font id="size2">
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check first - from under car - that the return hoses on the valve has not split - even parted. This will most likely cause LHM to flow down into the pedal box.
Also - on most hydraulic Citroen models (earlier species) - the rubber knob fitted at pedal engaging end of valve - is available as spare. They can crack/split - causing most of the returning LHM finding other ways - down over your deer polished shoes [:)]
If not a split return hose - it's a fiddly valve removal job - best left to any person you hate the most [}:)]
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

If LHM is flowing into the footwell it is the rubber seal on the end of the doseur valve. You will have to remove the valve to change it, so you may as well change the valve. Mine went two weeks ago. Procedure is as above. Only suggestion I would make is to remove the valve from the bulkhead BEFORE you undo the pipes...gives you far more room to work that way. Replace the pipes before you refit to the bulhead too, but be careful not to bend them.
I didn't need to bleed anything afterwards, althoguh I will do jut to be safe. My car is a 94, and I have had no problems with my bleed nipples when I changed the fluid, so you may be lucky. They seem to corrode much less than BX's
Use a 6 sided socket to loosen the nipples first time. DON'T try to do it with a 12 sided, a ring or an open ended spanner or you will round the nuts straight off.