C5 ESTATE RADIUS/TRAILING ARM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crosser69

C5 ESTATE RADIUS/TRAILING ARM

Post by crosser69 »

Hi there,not been logged on for a while as ive had a trouble free spell,anyway ive bought a 56 plate 1.6hdi estate,the o/s wheel is leaning in slightly at the top and have been told that the bearing are shot in the radius arm.
Now im a man of not many tools,ive dug the haynes manual out and the job to remove the arm looks pretty straight forward,now i was going to get a bearing kit but havt got the tools for removing them,so what i need to know is that are all the arms the same on these from 2001-2008 as i can get a 2nd hand arm,or does anyone know the cheapest place to get a repair kit if the arms are different through the saloon/estate models,any info would be great :)
citronut
My Cars:

Re: C5 ESTATE RADIUS/TRAILING ARM

Post by citronut »

the usual kits you can buy from ebay or the likes of GSF are for XANT's BX's and CX's,
some of the components but not all are different on the C5

here is a link to a thread that i posted details of were to buy which bits from to make up a kit for the C5

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36618&p=283404#p283404
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The most difficult part of the job is removing the outer part of the bearing from the housing, if you have access to a welder this is quite easy, just run a ring of weld metal around the inside of it, when it cools it will shrink and come out quite easily.

Peter
crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

Ok ive ordered the bearings and seals from gsf,hopefully i will have them tuesday and i can get stripped dowm,the main bit im worried about is getting the arm off,been told to jack up and put on axle stands,depressurise the system,take wheels off,take pipe off caliper then unclip pipes,take r clip off shocker then undo both sides of rollbar and take height correcter clamp off then undo the big bold and it should come off....correct??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont touch the height correcter clamp,
its actually the anti roll bar you unbolt from the arm,

it will pay to have to hand the spacer tube/pivot tube and a set of spacer bush's from citroen as they are diferent to the BX, XANT and CX kits GSF sell
Regards, malcolm.

Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Taking the R clip out can be difficult, I would lube it with penetrating oil ASAP giving it time to soak before you try and remove.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Agree with comments re not touching height adjuster. I did this job recently and found the worst bit was getting off the abs sensor! The bolt was fairly well seized in and I couldn't get to the connector plug under the fuel tank somewhere. In the end I soaked the thread from both sides with penetrating oil (not wd40) and managed to get the little blighter off in the end. (for what it's worth I use a very lightweight hammer and "shock" the thread loose with sharp blows to the bolt head and the bolt "end", don't bash the end direct, use a bar or something in between hammer and bolt end )
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

citronut wrote:dont touch the height correcter clamp,
I broke my rear height corrector during this job as I didn't slacken the clamp.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It should be possible to pop the link off the anti roll bar, preserving the height setting.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jabo wrote:
citronut wrote:dont touch the height correcter clamp,
I broke my rear height corrector during this job as I didn't slacken the clamp.
Jabo
did you have both arms off at the same time as this would alow the anti roll bar to move about more freely/to much
Regards, malcolm.

crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

my rear arm is knackered,the bearing thats nearest the anti roll bar must have dried out,its a right mess and has worn everything oval so dare not put new bearings in that arm,does anyone know if all of the arms are the same or best place cheap for brand new one?? providing price is right,also my rear end of this car is not as high as others ive seen knocking around,just wondered if there was anything i could do with the heigh correct whilst i was underneath it? i would say back end needs to be another inch or so higher but my main prob at the mo is the rear arm..any help would be grately appreciated
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usually if the rear arm looks really badly chewed up it can still most of the time be re/used,
as i have never seen them gone to the point it damages the bearing seat
Regards, malcolm.

crosser69

Post by crosser69 »

all the end is well chowed up and all of the roller bearings have badly marked the bore and its looks oval the same as the bearing and metal locator,i just dont want to put bearings in to find out ive got it all to do a few weeks later,would rather get a 2nd hand arm and rebuild it,just need to know if all the arms are the same??
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

citronut wrote:Jabo
did you have both arms off at the same time as this would alow the anti roll bar to move about more freely/to much
I had to undo the anti roll bar at both ends to get the job done. I probably could have avoided this by jacking up both sides but I had only jacked up the one side.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

crosser69 wrote:all the end is well chowed up and all of the roller bearings have badly marked the bore and its looks oval the same as the bearing and metal locator,i just dont want to put bearings in to find out ive got it all to do a few weeks later,would rather get a 2nd hand arm and rebuild it,just need to know if all the arms are the same??

here is the only part No.'s listed on service citroen doing a general serach in MK2 C5

5175 AP
SUSPENSION ARM
LEFT

5175 AQ
RIGHT

and here is the same for a MK1

5175 X8
SUSPENSION ARM
LEFT

- UNTIL RPO 09519
5175 AP
LEFT

- SINCE RPO 09520
5175 X9
RIGHT

- UNTIL RPO 09519
5175 AQ
RIGHT

hope this helps
Regards, malcolm.