more problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: more problems

Post by wheeler »

dave28 wrote:hi wheeler thanks for your reply is that a can or can't to do with the cutting out cheers
I edited the original post now as that was a typo, I did put a new post after it though but it seems to have dissapeared ??
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Hi again just had the picasso put on the computer and it came up with 5 error codes 4 of witch are related to the coil pack and 1 being the o2 sensor but the mechanic still reckons that the coil pack would not cause the breakdowns without any warnings you would get a bit of missing and lack of power before it conked out could this be true he seems to think it could be the lifter pump in the tank but would that not throw any fuel related codes up .
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Dave

If you've got the fault codes, then post them here, as somebody might know what they mean.

You can often get useful information by putting the fault codes into a Google search e.g:-

xsara fault p1426

or:-

xsara fault code p1426

or:-

fault code p1426

You can often find other posts with the same problems as you.

There seem to be quite a few posts about problems with Xsaras and coil packs. It might be nothing to do with your actual problem, but maybe it's worth searching for on Google. I've heard about the Xsara computer indicating faults with coil packs, and also being fussy about the make of spark plugs used. It might be something to do with the resistance value of the spark plug. They might have a resistor in series, but it differs in value.

There was a woman with a problem Xsara, who posted on here a while back. Here's the post:-

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=32365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a different problem to yours, but the post might provide some useful information.

In her case, one of the fault codes mentioned the following:-
"This fault code is usually caused by interference."

That made me wonder what "interference" they were referring to. The only thing I could think of that might cause interference to the computer, would be radio frequency interference coming from a coil pack, or spark plug that was arcing. In other words, HT sparks causing radio waves that affected the computer, and caused spurious fault codes. I don't think she ever solved the problem. Coil packs are expensive, so I wouldn't go buying one because I mentioned it, as it will probably turn out to be something much simpler like a bad earth. However, it would be a good idea to search on Google for your fault codes, to see whether anybody else is having the same problems.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
dave28

Post by dave28 »

I did not get the fault codes from the guy he just said it had a fault for each of the cylinders 1-4 that were to do with the coil pack and also a fault for the 02 sensor
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The fact it's got a fault for each of the cylinders seems a bit strange. I'd expect a real fault to be on just one cylinder. So, it could be that the computer doesn't like the spark plugs, and thinks they're faulty, because it's not getting the resistance values it wants.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
dave28

Post by dave28 »

its funny that you mention spark plugs as it had just had a full service before i got it and i did have new plugs fitted on the invoice it states that they where denso plugs i do not no what they are like
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I wonder if the computer stores the date/time at which the fault appeared. If the fault code appeared on the same day the spark plugs were changed, then it might give more clues.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Well its been nearly two weeks now since the last breakdown so fingers crossed and all that and the only things that i have done are fixed the leak in the secondary air injection system and kept the fuel above three bars on the fuel gauge so you never know ( you just know what is going to happen now :oops: )
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I hope it's fixed anyway.

If it's not, then I was going to mention the possibility of water in the petrol tank. I've never heard of this on Citroens, but I've had the problem in a Vauxhall Cavalier.

Your symptoms reminded me of that car. I had some water in the petrol tank. It would sit at the bottom of the tank, with the petrol sitting on top of it. It was in a low sump. below the take off point. Every now and then, a small amount of water would get into the fuel supply to the carburettor. The engine would conk out, and refuse to start. After leaving the car for a while, it would start ok.

The water caused the engine to conk out, but when left for a while, the hot engine would evaporate the water. Then the car would start.

The water was getting into the petrol tank through the small rubber vent pipes in the wheelarch, which had rotted.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Cheers for that paul i will keep that in mind and also keep the fuel up and see what happens