Get up and go got up and gone!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpysmith
My Cars:

Get up and go got up and gone!!

Post by carpysmith »

Hi all.
I have a bit of a problem with my 1999 hdi Xantia in that it seems to have got quite sluggish recently. No engine management lights on or smoke or anything. I think turbo is working as i can hear it "whistle" when accelerating, just seems to have lost all it,s go, especially when climbing hills/overtaking.
I,m thinking maybe a split turbo pipe somewhere? and was just wondering if there is a particular pipe anywhere that is prone to this problem? (might narrow the search down a bit!!) or is it a case of checking all of them regardless?
Car is otherwise quite happy cruising along at 70+ just takes forever to get there now!!!
Thanks in advance!
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx estate (110 bhp)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Get up and go got up and gone!!

Post by CitroJim »

This shouts MAF sensor at me Steve. A Lexia diagnostic will soon determine it. A duff one will have a static output more or less regardless of throttle position/revs whereas a good one will show a nice linear rise in output with increasing throttle and rising revs...

Else that you may well have a small hole in one of your rubber boost pipes. There's three, a short little stubby one off the end of the turbo to the plastic pipe under the car, another from this pipe to the intercooler (if it's a 110) and then anotehr from the intercooler top the inlet manifold that runs up parallel with the airbox (again if a 110). Examine them carefully but any holes or splits will be easy to see as there will be a tell-tale sticky oily stain on the pipe. Ditto the intercooler if say, it has a small hole in it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Many thanks for the quick reply Jim, hope you are well!! will take a look at boost pipes tomorrow, if no joy I reckon it will be a trip to my local friendly citroen indy for a diagnostics session!! dont think there is anybody close to me with a lexia!!
Regards (and thanks)
Steve
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Come to think of it I think one of the pipes at the back of the engine is quite oily, think it,s at a joint where pipe disappears in the direction of turbo if memory serves me correctly!! will have a look there first i think!!
Regards.
Steve.