Looking at a Xant HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Looking at a Xant HDi

Post by Chlorate »

So now that the ZX has gone I need some new wheels, I went to see a 406TD today but was rather disappointed (see the Pug forum) so I've turned my attention to a nice looking Xant exclusive HDi.
Going to give the seller a ring tomorrow and arrange a viewing, anything specific I should be careful of?

I seem to recall a lot of posts about crusty strut tops on Xants, can someone give me the spotters guide?

Thanks

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Looking at a Xant HDi

Post by CitroJim »

Alex, there’s a huge thread about strut tops in the Supersticky forum... A late MK2 is unlikely to have a problem as they got better. Failure is still largely a sickness of early MK1s although there are exceptions.

The Exclusive HDi is just about the best Xantia there is. They truly are excellent cars... Don't worry about high mileages - they thrive on it.

Main things to check is the Power Steering feed pipe where it dives up over the end of the gearbox next to the chassis rail; it corrodes badly in MK2 Xantias. Look for rust in the double-skinned areas on the tops of the sills in the rear door shuts and give the hydractive suspension a good check-over. There's a good guide to how in the Activa Sticky section of this forum, the Activa Buyer's Guide. Just ignore the Activa-specific bits.

Otherwise, all the usual checks. I'm sure others will offer other critical areas to check.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Many thanks Jim, I'll go have a read. But what you've said is quite encouraging.

I have to say I'm rather excited, the exclusive is a properly good car, and if it turns out to be a solid motor I'm sure it'll serve me well for a good time to come.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Throughly brill choice! The HDi is one HELL of an engine (In 110bhp form only)... Engines do not really suffer head gasket issues like the old XUD engines. Partly to better cooling system layout and the standard fitment of Multi layer steel head gaskets.

It should start within four turns.... and runs smoothly and very little to no smoke. Even with a rev up. Listen to the engine, if theres a rattle or sort of cracking noise from the drivers side its useually the Crank Pully. 80 quid upwards.

Ask about the Fuel Tank lift pump, if it has had one recently.. they do fail but at random milage. A sencond unit however doesn't. As jim said above, S2 strut tops have not started failing like S1 tops, so better news there. But the PAS pipes are un coated for some stupid reason. S1 Air Con PAS pipes from an XUD will fit and they are coated...

Heater matrix is the other thing to check unfortunally they remained weak, still a dash out job. Check between hot and cold settings, if you get Currie going to hot, then theres a nice job to do! Take the top off the ECU box, see if a diode mod has been fitted, if not it could cause a hard ride if it is hard. An easy thing to rectify.

Check for leaks etc etc... Exclusive cars have One Touch, Anti Pinch on ALL windows, the only model to have, so the passenger front and both rears are unique to the Exclusive. Check for operation... they are harder to get!

For piece of mind. I bought mine from a fellow FCF member, with 156k on the clock. I went to see it, the history was mislaid. So I had no history, 156k but I bought it. There was signs of water loss.. but after a crank pully, water pump and cam belt shes has been superb! Now at 219k still uses no oil or water, and I am still getting around 50mpg!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Lovely! This one has a few less miles than that, so I feel somewhat confident about the engine so long as it was kept reasonably well.
diode mod has been fitted, if not it could cause a hard ride if it is hard. An easy thing to rectify.
Hehe no pun intended?
Will check and/or find out how to do it.

Thanks for that citroenxm

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Its easy enough to spot... There will be a black Box with a wire then connected to the WHITE plug on the suspension ECU..

This answers the next, the suspension ECU is next to the engine ECU and is the one with two plugs in it..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Indeed a good choice :) Most things have been said already I think.

Obviously you know about spheres and such, a hard ride might well be knackered spheres and not the ECU sport function. You will have 8 on that.

Body corrosion seems almost limited to rust in the rear door shut area and rear wings. Check there and the sill just under the rear of the rear doors.

What happened to your ZX?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

The tin worm ate the sills floor pan and strut towers to the point where I couldn't afford to repair it (as well as some problems with the rear brakes). Then my grandfather made me an offer to loan me some reddies to get a new car so long as the ZX got scrapped.
It was a sad day, wish I'd kept the engine, that was a good lump.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They're brilliant, and seem very reliable. Mine (Rattiva) that I sold to Jim and bought back is now on 207700 miles, and running very well indeed. It's not perfect - needs a drop link and has a few battle scars, but it goes like stink now it's got no boost leaks. Returning about 55mpg in normal careful driving, though I have had it down as low as 34.

I had a couple of ZX TDs, they were great cars. A garage royally messed one up by fitting an incorrect strut and balljoint to it, then the cambelt snapped on the other at speed. Being so old, they were not worth repairing at the time. (The first was a K plater with 140k on it, the second a mint M plater with 82 k on it)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That seems to be the fate for most ZXs :(

At least Xantias seem to hold up much better to our weather, as Mike says, find a decent one and it will give many years of motoring.

Our 2.0HDi 110 C5 (same engine) is on 144K, low mileage going by some Xantias and C5s on here. It does perform very well and the engine is as fit as it could possibly be. It uses not a drop of oil or coolant between services, its a very dependable thing and I hope to keep it around for many more miles yet. The poor thing has just taken up towing, its doing it very well too.

Without doubt one of the very best more modern diesel engines.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I agree, my chum has a Xant Exclusive with 200 thou (and change) miles on it, still going as strong as ever. Very good engine indeed.

I looked at howmanyleft.com the other day at ZX Volcanes: 5000+ left in 2001, 300ish left today. Whereas half the Exclusive HDis are still going.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The Zx is strangley a bad car for rust... worse then Xm cars.. weither this is down to the fact they were made in spain or not, or was it just the three door model made in spain..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It doesn't seem like it was built to last, I had to replace quite a few bits over the 4 years I owned the car just to keep it rolling. Although that seems quite common these days - 10 years and that's your lot.

Disappointed this morning, the nice looking Xant was sold yesterday.
Shall keep looking, hopefully I'll find another before the whole beggars and choosers scenario turns up.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a real shame Alex. Don't fret, there's still a good few around and one will surely find you...

Just got to keep looking and dive quickly on any hopefuls...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Alex, I bought an Hdi Exclusive about a month ago with only 66k - only had two owners.Apart from a slight electrical glitch which locked the suspension in 'firm' mode (now sorted), it is superb.I've owned various Xantias over the years but this is my first HDi - I use it as a daily driver & would consider it the best all round engine for everyday general use - torquey,economical & smooth and capable of large mileages if properly maintained.
There is a wealth of info on this forum on the Xantia & I have found masses of useful help when issues do occur - if you get a good one It rapidly grows on you -I still believe the Hydractive suspension to be one of the most comfortable,soothing systems around when operating correctly.
Best of luck.

David.