BX 1.9 diesel timing belt question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IanW
My Cars:

BX 1.9 diesel timing belt question

Post by IanW »

G'day all
Recently bought a BX diesel wagon, 86manufacture 1.9 (non turbo unfortunately) which is something of a rarity out here in Oz.The only diesels here are private imports and very few estates among them. As its getting up to 200 K miles and I have no idea when the timing belt was last done, thought now would be a good time to invest in some engine saving insurance. Managed to source a timing belt locally so that part is OK. I have changed the 16V and TZI belts before and assume the timing dowel system is similar on the diesels. Any tips or handy hints on the procedure, especially around the cam and injector pump timing would be greatly appreciated.
Ian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ian -
If the engine is running good - then the present cambelt must be considered timed correctly.
- so why not simply mark up the old belt & sprockets (cam, pump & crank) to each other (white ink) - do an index marking & direction arrow - remove the old belt - then transfer the markings to the new belt - fit the new belt - and drive on [8D]
Any special reasons you want the hassle of timing the diesel pump ?
- reasons for the hassle of fitting the akward flywheel crank lock pin ?
- reasons for fitting a lockpin in the cam - when you experience the hole/threading is "done" by previuos "service" ?
BTW - on the diesel you don't even have the hassle of judging the correct belt tensioning - a springloaded tensioner wheel is fitted supplying the correct belt tension.
Have done it 3 times now this way - don't care about the cam lockpin hole that had been "done" by a smart previous owner - using it for torquing the cam sprocket/beltwheel bolts (or whatever).
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ian,
The XUD timing belt job is not very nice. Easier on a non-turbo engine though!
First the crankshaft pulley bolt is VERY tight, and has locking compound on it (and it's 22mm...). You need to crack it off hot to make it as easy as possible - and bank on using lots of extension bar! I think it has be tightened back up to 60 lb ft plus 60°. The alternator belt is a bit confusing too - there should be an adjuster bolt - slacken the top and bottom mountings, and then screw in the adjuster on the top to let the tension off - no access as usual so it ends up a frustrating 10 minutes with a spanner 1 flat at a time.
To get the timing belt off you need to remove the RH engine mount - and for this you need a deep reach 16mm socket. Support the engine with a hoist or jack under the sump.
To hold the timing you need 2 or 3 M8 bolts about 30 - 40 mm long, and piece of 8mm bar. There is one hole in the cam sprocket, and two in the injection pump sprocket. When the timing is right, the hole in the cam sprocket is at about 4 o'clock - the bolts then pass through and screw into the back plate. The hole for the crank shaft is behind the starter motor, just above the sump / block joint. I found a piece of bar about 1m long with 150mm bent about 15deg on the end allowed me to get it in whilst standing at the side of the car so I could turn the wheel the turn the engine over.
The tensioner needs a 10mm square drive to turn it back against the spring - you might be able to make do with a 3/8" drive extension depending on access. There are 2 bolts holding it - a pivot bolt about half way down and the locking bolt at the back under the cam sprocket. At 200k you may well need to replace the tensioner and idle roller. You need to fab a tool to hold the spring in whilst you remove the tensioner. Spring tension only sets the belt tension, so that makes life a bit easier!
Anders favours marking 1 tooth on the crank, cam, and injection sprocket, and the adjacent 2 teeth on the belt, then transferring the marks to the new belt in order to be able to refit it.
(Edit: See, told you - he got his reply in first!)
Richard
IanW
My Cars:

Post by IanW »

Thanks Anders and Richard, the prompt advice is much appreciated. You blokes must type a bit quicker than me.
I was anticipating there would be access problems, remembering the last belt change on the 16 valve. Now feel a bit more confident about tackling the job without the benefit of Mr Haynes words of wisdom. Cant seem to source a diesel workshop manual over here, the local auto shops just dont want to know.
Should be getting stuck in to it after work tomorrow, thought it best to do before heading off bush on the weekend.
Thanks again
Ian
Ozziediver
My Cars:

Post by Ozziediver »

Ian, I have a BX diesel Haynes manual - if you are coming to the Citroen Tech day in Sydney on Sunday, I'll bring it along for you to read the relevant parts...sorry I can't part with it as I also have diesel [8D][8D]
IanW
My Cars:

Post by IanW »

Ozziediver,
Sorry, the weather was too good and I got a long weekend so under bonnet work dropped right down the priority list. Where did you manage to find a diesel Haynes manual? Everywhere Ive tried down here says "not listed" or "how do ya spell sitrun". Next step was going to be to try the joint near Tom Uglys (cant remember the name)next time I was up that way.
Ian
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Ian - the Haynes manual for BX diesel just covers the XUD 1.7 and 1.9 engines as fitted to the BX, Visa, and the C15 van.
It only covers the drivetrain-specific sections of the car, leaving the rest to the manual for the individual car/van - and it's probably best found with some combination of the title keywords "Citroen 1.7 and 1.9 Diesel Engine" (e.g. on www.amazon.co.uk, though I don't personally trust their information all the time).
If trying to source through booksellers or on the net try searching on the ISBN (International standard book number) - which is on amazon.co.uk is 1850109648 for current editions (blue cover) and possibly 1850106959 or 1850103798 for the out-of-print older editions (brown cover- normally sold only as second-hand copies on sites like amazon). I'd check my own copy for the details but don't have it easily to hand right now.
GSF can probably supply too......or you could try ebay. The same info is in the French equivalent of Haynes if you can translate.
G'luck.
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Ian
I got my manual in the UK when I lived there (with my Turbo diesel!) and brought it over with the car. The ISBN number on it is 1850109648 and it is the brown cover. As DLM said, it only covers the engine and drivetrain specifics for the 1.9 litre diesel models from 1984 to 1994 and the 1.7 litre from 1985 to 1994 for the Visa, C15 and BX - including turbo models. Don't know if you tried eBay but it might be worth a shot. Last suggestion - do you know anyone in the UK who could buy one and ship it out here to you?[?]