berlingo 1.9d van wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: berlingo 1.9d van wont start

Post by citroenxm »

Can only be the STOP solinoid on the end of the pump, but likey to be hidden by security armour....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is it not possible the ECU/BSI is not trowing a wobbly
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Latest update got the van taken into the garage today but there getting nowhere there concerned that there is no eml light when you put the ignition on and also nothing will communicate with the van :o
dave28

Post by dave28 »

well back again still clueless the Citroen mechanic has not got a clue says he has tried all sort of things but nothing seems to make a differance i asked him if he had tried a stop solenoid but he said it would not be that because it would not stop the eml light coming on with the ignition and that is what he seems more concerned about .so if any of you guys have any more suggestions i would be more than gratefull before it gets scrapped bl##dy new mot last week
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so how much do you want for it before you scrap it :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Something simple I bet,
Follow the engine harness closely around the engine bay looking out for chaffing.
Does a Berlingo have a start relay ? If this is faulty or is not receiving a signal from ECU/ ECM
it will cause your problem
If you find a start relay and remove it can be bypassed using aloop of wire between two of
the terminals to test. I won't know which two terminals but they'll probably be opposite each other.
The world is full of them and a lot are in
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I wonder if the ECU has gone kaputt?

Dave where are you ? is there anyone near with a Lexia diagnostic..

john
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I think the problem is more of a total electronic supply failure, enough to de-energise the stop solenoid while moving and then also cut all power to the ECU/relay side of things. A wiring diagram is really the only way this is going to be solved, and i'm sure that cant be hard to get hold of, then check all of the pins for earths and lives and switched lives etc. As said before without the ECU this engine should run, badly but still run.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Going purely back to basics here.

If you have carried out the fuel test to the feed injector pipe, and produced no fuel at the loosened pipe.

Then:

If you have a multi meter, set to low ohms range, ignition off, check the Resistance of the pump fuel stop relay.
Should be in the region of 10 ohms. if no reading, then relay coil is open circuit.

If you do not have a meter, apply +12 volts to the centre pin of the relay, and you should hear a click.
This will indicate if the relay coil is intact and the plunger is working.

I am not sure if this test will effect the ecu or other components, some one with with more knowledge please advise.

Good luck
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
dave28

Post by dave28 »

Hi again the van is still with the mechanic spoke to him earlier and said that he is waiting for a wiring diagram to be faxed to him before he waste anymore time on it he now seems to think there is a broken wire that feeds the ecu or something like that
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

G4EIY wrote:Going purely back to basics here.

If you have carried out the fuel test to the feed injector pipe, and produced no fuel at the loosened pipe.

Then:

If you have a multi meter, set to low ohms range, ignition off, check the Resistance of the pump fuel stop relay.
Should be in the region of 10 ohms. if no reading, then relay coil is open circuit.

If you do not have a meter, apply +12 volts to the centre pin of the relay, and you should hear a click.
This will indicate if the relay coil is intact and the plunger is working.

I am not sure if this test will effect the ecu or other components, some one with with more knowledge please advise.

Good luck
i dont think any of the above will be relevant as i think the shut off solenoid is deep inside the armoring on the back of the pump
Regards, malcolm.

andy cuzz
New User

Post by andy cuzz »

hi,
new to this forum and have exactly this problem,
did you ever get it sorted
thanks
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi

We had this happen to a Peugeot Partner, a few years ago.
It was the stop solenoid, or perhaps the tortuitous route to it, through the immobiliser assembly on the pump.
It was solved by the local Peugeot dealer and his pet injector pump reconditioner. Between them they did away with the immobiliser, in a similar way to the VW "cold-chisel-fix", but with no visible damage to the pump casing.
They refused to tell me exactly what the job entailed, but the van starts and drives and keys are now cheap to replace.
As it wasn't my van, I didn't open the pump to try and see what was different.
It wasn't expensive, though, so probably worth just paying and having it be somebody else's responsibility :wink:
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

may I suggest running an independent lead from the battery positive (a bridge) straight to the stop solenoid ignition off to see if it clicks, I don't understand why the mechanic would dismiss the stop solenoid and not test it in the process of elimination? it could be that the positive supply lead to the stop solenoid is corroded, my much older berlingo a 52 plate positive supply lead broke down and needed replacing. it would cut the engine whilst traveling along the road. it was an intermittent fault at first which got worse over time. Have you checked the plastic earth connector block near to the battery tray the earth leads can work loose there as they can be very short and prone to vibration or shaken loose by an insecure battery shifting backwards and forwards with braking and acceleration, sounds like an earth lead is loose or has gone bad.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Perhaps because the stop solenoid is hidden inside the cover, with tamperproof screws protecting it???
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD