Xantia speedo reads maximum

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia speedo reads maximum

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. The car got really hot, guage showed 100 (normally shows 80). The outside temp was 40 and had the air con on, both rad fans were going. Had stopped the car for 2 mins to drop something off to our neighbour. The car wouldn't start then and with a boot full of shopping couldn't wait for the engine to cool down so bump started her. Now the speedo reads maximum. I assume it's electronic, so have disconnected the battery.

If it doesn't recover what's the first thing to look at?

Is it alright to bump start a Xantia? I've been told that some diesels don't like it and you can blow the engine up!

Thanks guys.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
reblack68
My Cars:

Re: Xantia speedo reads maximum

Post by reblack68 »

I believe the solution to the speedo problem is to nudge the needle back down, possibly with a bent wire through the trip reset hole. It's just something that can happen when the battery gets low and isn't a fault as such.

I've bump started diesels loads of times, daily in the case of my old 305, and never done any harm, though I've heard that it can be hard on the clutch because of the high compression ratio.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Jaf
My Cars:

Re: Xantia speedo reads maximum

Post by Jaf »

Richard you are an absolute diamond! Working perfectly now! Thank you so much. And thanks for the reasurance with the bump starting too!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.