Crank up the boost 1.9TD ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

What about this ...?
With a mechanical pump and a pressure regulated turbo you have a max fuel setting ...and a max boost pressure. So, at full throttle you may not have them set up correctly to give the optimum stoichiometric ratio. You could have too much or too little fuel. You won't get any more boost than your waste gate actuator will allow. So, the fuel to air ratio will give high combustion temps if there's too little fuel... Low combustion temps if there's too much fuel.
So, once set up, we have a fixed max fuelling and a fixed boost. The engine temp will just depend on how closely they are matched to optimum. The fact that the boost is limited and not endless will limit the air input.
Well..come on..tell me I'm wrong..I can take it.....LOL
neilsxm

Post by neilsxm »

sorry kev
got to disagree my car xm 2.5td will produce max boost(0.9bar) at 2000rpm on a quarter throttle and will run like this all day without getting hot the gauge sits at 90 degC
then stick your foot to the floor no more boost already at max,car takes off but the temp gauge also climbs upto around 92-94degC
so i think that throws your theory out of the window?
also i had a corsa 1.5 td which i fitted a 1.7td lump out of a vectra while tuning this engine(got 82bhp @front wheels)if i went too much on turning up the fuel ,disconnected the pipe off the wastegate and pugged it up(1.2bar)the temp gauge used to climb up to 105 degC at full throttle but the minute i eased off it came down to a normal 90degC
but when i got it on a rolling road and played around with max fuel settings we got it so it only went up slightly at max power
also we noticed that if you increased fuel settings i.e just kept turning max fuel up even though it was black smoking(thick black smoke)the power kept climbing,but so did the temp gauge
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So, the fuel to air ratio will give high combustion temps if there's too little fuel... Low combustion temps if there's too much fuel<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
what you said here is right for a petrol engine but the wrong way round for a diesel engine
see what this starts or is everyone getting board now!![:)]
--neil--
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

i love the way no one has mentioned the turbo's in all of this...
any one actualy looked at what there rated at? (and i know people have so those of you who arent posting, start!)
Andy
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

been reading all the info and its good reading, now then im rebuilding a xantia 1.9td and while i was at it i thought hmm radiators should be black as they dissapate more heat so ive sprayed the intercooler and the aircon but moved the intercooler into the front of aircon rad ill let u know what happens
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

At a guess, not a hell of a lot![:p]
Only kidding mate, you'll gain atleast 30% more torque throughout the rev range with a black IC and rad[:o)]
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Eh! I thought the black paint or any coating would be a barrier to heat dissipation and its easier to lose heat if the rad and IC is unpainted? Anyone can confirm this?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnCKL</i>

Eh! I thought the black paint or any coating would be a barrier to heat dissipation and its easier to lose heat if the rad and IC is unpainted? Anyone can confirm this?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If your paint insulates the radiator you could be worse off with a black paint than you were with bare metal. On the other hand, with a conductive mat black paint you would be marginally better off. A radiator loses the vast majority of it's heat via conduction / convection so the radiation losses are probably insignificant anyway.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A radiator loses the vast majority of it's heat via conduction / convection so the radiation losses are probably insignificant anyway.
Why is it called a radiator then? Shouldn't it be a convector? [:D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think this is the link I was thinking about - tells you lots and lots about tuning TD engines:
http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/
OK, so it's about the VW TDI engine, but the principles are the same. Set aside an hour (or 3) to read it all!
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I used to work in industrial chemical sales where we supplied raw materials to paint companies. AFAIK, many black paints are only electrically conductive due to the carbon content and additive, not sure about heat conductivity. I would think it acts more as an insulator due to the media or resin used. However it does act as a protection barrier to corrosion.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Yep, more powers all good...Until your clutch starts slipping.[:(]
5 days after the upgrade and it needs a new one...Maybe it's me and my heavy right foot that's to blame[}:)] Oh well, speed costs![:p]
BatteryMan
My Cars:

Post by BatteryMan »

Thanks Kev, a good recommendation. When I find work again (was made redundant end Jan) I will call Allan and pop over the bridge. Meanwhile I will tend my Xantia with TLC.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KevMayer</i>

BatteryMan..
I was pleased with Allard. The chap that did the work was Mr Allard himself. He is a real gentleman.
He doesn't use a rolling road, neither does Dr diesel I believe, but, from experience he recons that he can increase the power from 92 to 110 Bhp. The torque goes from 148 up to around 175 Lbft.
My Xantia drives nicely. Its no rocket ship, but it goes well and it really moves if I need it to.
The fuel economy is approximately the same as before the tweak..or maybe slightly better (1 mpg). I do keep an eye on the fuel consumption. I drive the car hard... always accelerating too fast. I only got around 36 mpg before the tweak. I recon I get around 36 to 38 after. So nothing to shout about, but at least it didn't become worse. I have got well over 40 mpg by taking it steady, but I become drousy and tend to nod off.
Allard charged me 80 quid for the tune up. I had almost done enough to set it up myself before I went so he went easy on me. I paid 10 quid for a ZX1 equivalent engine treatment, 34 quid for a K&N air filter and 16 quid for a copy of his tuning manual (which wasn't much use to be honest. It doesn't give much away).
So, good luck.
Just thought.. If its a sunny day you can drop your car off at Allard's and walk into Monmouth town. Go to Peacocks and buy 3 pairs of socks for 2 quid like I did. 2 hrs later the car will be done.