Laugh or Cry?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Laugh or Cry?

Post by Old-Guy »

Last night, driving slowly up the lane with the windows open (weather warm and sticky), over the noise of the engine echoing back from the stone walls I thought I could hear a horrible scraping noise. So when I got to the top of the hill, I switched the engine off and coasted the last few yards (no PAS!) down to the drive entrance. Definitely a horrible, rythmic scraping noise as though something wrapped round (or falling off) a driveshaft! Grand-daughter's birthday party in Devon on Sunday - presence (and presents!) obligatory, so just what I needed. :(

I backed into the drive (nose uphill) to park on a reasonably clean surface (the lane is covered cr4p from the gasman's diggings) and put the suspension on High. Looking underneath, the little hatch in the undertray had come unlatched and dropped down. I have only opened it once - only to conclude that it's far easier to take the undertray off to change the oil and filter. A pale brown scrape on the undertray right next to the hatch latch suggested that one of the many bits of broken stick in the lane had neatly flicked the latch open.

To add to my fury, by reversing into the drive, I caused the hatch to neatly snag on the dropped curb, folding it at the crease and almost breaking it in two so it would no longer stay latched in place. The only quick fix was to tear it off at the fold; making another little job - next time the undertray is off. If only I'd not been so 'clever' and just driven in forwards! :evil:

So if you hear a nasty scraping noise from underneath at low speed, investigate BEFORE you reverse!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Laugh or Cry?

Post by jgra1 »

sounds like it could have been a lot worse ;)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you have to watch dangling flaps :shock: :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Been there - done that!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My Berlingo sports a cracked undertray from the rear clip popping out and me reversing... My Xantia has no undertray at all, it's in Jim's workshop. It can stay there for all I care..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:My Xantia has no undertray at all, it's in Jim's workshop. It can stay there for all I care..
Ahh, thanks for reminding me Mike. I was going to ask if you wanted it back.... I take it you don't?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You could of course have put it in high before............................................. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.