xantia rear susp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

t4z1

xantia rear susp

Post by t4z1 »

help!!! is it normal for me xant to sink when cranking the engine to start her up,am new to citroens but am otherwise pleased apart from this trivial prob
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's an abnormal behaviour - indicative of a flat antisink sphere.
To more precisely help you pinpointing the problem - could you please be a bit more descriptive :
Exaxt model designation
Modelyear
Mileage on odometer
Any service records on the hydraulic system ?
t4z1

Post by t4z1 »

the moter is a 1.9 turbo diesel sx 1995 xantia with 72000m on the clock
The rear doesn`t sink over night,but as i say it drops when starting it,
i have read other posts saying how regular the clicking noise is on the car, this is about every seven seconds on mine ,does this also point too the anti sink sphere being ruptured?
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

I've read just about all the posts I can find on this topic, and the answers seem to be split 50-50 between saying its the antisink sphere or its the accumulator sphere.
In a recent thread started by infinicar he replaced all 6 spheres and the problem was solved. Seems like drastic action to me but I think there were also other problems besides (and he wasn't personally footing the bill...)
My car suffers from a sinking front end when you crank the engine, I will be replacing the accumulator sphere this weekend so keep watching to find out if it cures it [:p]
If its your rear end that sinks not the front then I'd agree with Anders that its probably your antisink sphere.
Andy
t4z1

Post by t4z1 »

thanks for the info am glad i found this site most usefull
again ta and will keep me peepers open for your results
t4z1
xantia 1.9 td
gpz 750
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds as if both anti sink and accumulator spheres are knackered to me.
The rear can't sink unless the oil supporting the rear of the car has somewhere to go, so when it sinks on starting then it means the oil in the rear suspension cylinders has migrated to another part of the hydraulic system, in this case the nearly flat anti sink sphere, there is no where else it can go to.
The sphere is not yet totaly flat and is not ruptured, if it were you would not be experiencing these affects, the car would not sink because the sphere would remain full of oil which does not compress, in this state the oil in the rear suspension would have no where to go and the car will maintain its height.
If the car sinks as the engine is being cranked (especially after being left over night) i,e before it actually starts, then thats a pointer to a totaly flat accumulator sphere because this small amount of cranking is not enough to reach operating pressure on a vehicle with a known good sphere, the fact that it does means there is no compressable gas remaining in the sphere, only in this state will pressure rise so quickly and open the security and anti sink valves.
The plus side is that with a regulator cut out interval of seven seconds, the hydraulic system would otherwise seem to be in good shape.
Dave
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Out of interest, in a ruptured sphere, where does the Nitrogen gas go? As Nitrogen bubbles in the LHM eventually expelled through the filler? Or do we just have NLHM?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> where does the Nitrogen gas go? As Nitrogen bubbles in the LHM eventually expelled through the filler <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
- YES
The nitrogen ends up as bubbles in the reservoir - and is vented from here.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Obvious really, just thought I'd ask the question for all and sundry. Thanks Anders. Sorry to hear about the CB in Copenhagen. Hope not too many casualties.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Just an update as promised:
I changed the accumulator sphere yesterday morning and have not since had any more troubles with the sinking front end when the engine is being cranked.
Thanks especially to Dave Burns, whose step by step instructions found on this forum have become an essential appendix to my haynes [:D]
Andy
t4z1

Post by t4z1 »

thanks for the update
will have a go at my spheres at the week end
have just fitted new timing belt (a fun task i will not be looking forward too again in 36k` time)
gotta allow time for nuckles too heal before next job on xant.
t4z1
1995 xantia td sx
1986 gpz 750
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by t4z1</i>

have just fitted new timing belt (a fun task i will not be looking forward too again in 36k` time)
gotta allow time for nuckles too heal before next job on xant.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2"> Any tips on this t4zl? I am just about ready to start mine this week. Of course I'll carry some extra knuckle skin [8][:D]</font id="size2">
t4z1

Post by t4z1 »

dunno bout the petrol engines but if the timing belt covers are as much fun too get off as mine good luck. haynes manual beleive it or not was useful on the said repair for me,but the crank bolt is a sod too get out!!! i locked up the engine using 8mm bolts and an 8mm shaft grafted too fit the stupid little hole that it fits in,
that u can't find but have too feel for !!!
otherwise i found it too be an easy task
recommend changing the water pump at this stage not too expensive but will save you future headaches
T4Z1
95 xantia 1.9 td sx
86 gpz750 (less trouble)