Cheap, worthwhile, improvements: what's yours....?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Cheap, worthwhile, improvements: what's yours....?

Post by bxbodger »

Caning my BX diesel up and down the M11 day in,day out, through several winters, this year I have got rid of the appalling wiper mounted washer pipe thing, and fitted two proper twin washer-jets, with non-return valves; the difference is absolutely amazing and the whole lot cost less than a tenner (but I did have to drill the bonnet to fit them-I first fitted them into the air-intake grill but they kept moving about), and I am now looking forward to a safe winter commute where I can actually SEE where I am going......
Does anyone have any other cheap suggestions to make that have made their cars more pleasant to use??????
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

There's a thread on this called Modifications and improvements that you may like to look at.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

AFAIR a new wiper arm spraybar is approx 3.5 quid - cheaper & easier than your solution [:D]
Ooops - price has gone up - seems to be 5.65 for this spraybar [:I]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

four years ago it was 8.50 from Citroen, so that means now it will be either 34p when you dont need it, or £16 when you do :(
Personaly i like the arm spray bar rather than Ford style bonnet jets, but id really like to try putting Xantia 'invisable' jets on a BX!!
Other suggestions;
Air intake!
The standard method of taking air from above the radiator is just obsurd. Just infront of the air filter box (on the diesel) is a hole, about 4inch wide. I bring air up through this from behind the bumper using flexible pipes. Makes the pick up on the diesel much smoother and a little quicker. Given how simple a mod it is, doesnt half make a noticeable difference!!
Coin holder.
go the scrappy and get another clean ashtray. Pop the cover off the 'coin holder' and put it on the ashtray. Put the ashtray back in and viola (deliberate spelling) two money boxes :)
Towbar
Nuff said!!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Dunno about worthwhile mods Vanny, I bet if I wasn't on the ball and ran into the back of you, I'd modify me Berlingo back to the windscreen pillers....[:D][:D][:o)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Cheap, worthwhile inprovemnts?
Oh, yes! 1.9TD owners, crank up the boost! Cost NIL.[;)]
[8)]
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

how about spending nigh on 300 quid on a free flow handmade tubular steel exhaust manilfold & heat wrap for an AX GT...oh hang on, this is about cheap worthwhile mods isnt it..damn i thought it was called expensive mods to make your car go like stink..[}:)]
Muahahahahahahahahaaaahahahaha
Now it does sound like the MaxPower Forum[V]
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

What turbo do you have Jon ?
I have a Xantia 1.9 Turbo D with a KKK K14 turbo. I had it cranked up to 1.15 bar and fueling adjusted to match by Allard Diesel Sport for 80 quid. Also had a K&N filter for another 34 quid. Made quite a difference to perfomance.
I still seem to have something wrong with my ECU timing adjustment of my Bosch pump though. I'm still playing with this bit.
Cheers, Kev