Clunking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Clunking

Post by Stekelly »

The last couple of weeks I've been getting a couple of clunking noises from the Xantia. One I'm pretty sure is the O/S/F ball joint. I went to have a look but I had left the locking wheel nut key at how (really have to put it back in the car before I get proper stuck) . The other is a less frequent one. I was drivign through a town at about 30 in 3rd and coming to a speed bump so I let off the throttle and then there was the clunk. It seemed to be from the centre down under the radio area. That seems to happen once, early in a journey. I think I had the odd one about a second after I change gear the odd time for 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th but not sure. I do tend to get one sometimes, like the first one when I'm accelerating and let off the throttle.

One other thing I never noticed. In any of the top line of gears (1st, 3rd. 5th) the gear stick is still while driving but in 2nd or 4th it vibrates a bit. Not much but you can see it. It may well have always been like this but I'v ebeen paying more attention since I put it back on the road.

All in all could I be looking at somethign simple like gearbox or engine mounts or somethign more serious?
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Re: Clunking

Post by Taffyrhys »

Sounds like the drop link bars , as i had the same problem every time i went over a bump or un even road that made a clunking noise.

They are easy to replace with only two nuts that connect the link bar to the top of the suspension struct and the other to the lower wish bone from memory and weren't expensive. You can buy them cheap on ebay but don't last that long compared to other makes.

Another item to check is the front brake calipers to make sure the pins and metal shimmy things are in place, as i had another knocking noise because they were missing and the caliper was moving.

I hope this helps :-D :-D
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

I've actually changed both drop links in the last few months.

As for the calipers.. well I have a story about one of those that involves me limping the car along an hours journey from Belfast down to Robert in Newry having lost one of the bolts from the carrier bracket on the motorway on the way up and the other gradually working its way loose and not havign a jack or tools with me :-D
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I have a similar unidentified clatter from the front left, on some surfaces you don't hear it at all, on some surfaces especially ones that are a bit scored it rattles like something is going to fall off of the suspension! Last time I had the wheel off I wasn't able to find any obvious slack in any joints.

I've already replaced a badly worn right hand track rod end, tomorrow I'm going to do the left hand track rod end and also both drop links. Will be interesting to see if the noise goes away! If not I guess it must be the lower ball joint or the callipers rattling...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

PS your clunk when you ease off the throttle does sound a bit like a worn/broken gearbox/engine mount. Try putting the handbrake on and if its an automatic get someone to switch it back and forth between drive and reverse and see how much the engine rocks. If it's a manual just carefully slip the clutch a bit in 1st then reverse... If you can see quite a bit of movement of the engine it could be the mountings...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers for the info folks, been busy so havnt had a chance to get at it for a proper look.

I'd be very interested in the same info too

superloopy wrote:I would appreciate it if anyone could post a quick howto on identifying what gearbox and engine mounts there are and what's needed to change them.