Blowin' my horn! (Citroen ZX)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

Blowin' my horn! (Citroen ZX)

Post by FFX-DM »

I plugged in my mobile phone charger and ZAP! the fuse blew so I had no horn or cigarette lighter. As soon as I bunged in a new fuse, it too blew, so I knew there was a prob somewhere. After a session of multimetering and not a little cursing and swearing and taking apart of the console, I established that it was the cigarette lighter that was at fault (connection to earth both sides of the fuse!).
Anyhow, an observation. The cigarette lighter in the ZX must be the most irritating component in the world to remove. It should be easy, but requires major dismantling to get at it, made all the more irritating because it's in plain view. I have recovered the Haynes manual from where it got flung, but it's best use was laying it on the windscreen to cut the glare from a low sun angle! I now need a new one. Jon, do GSF sell them or is it off to Roy Chapman for me?
Second related question. The Haynes makes various references to air horns. Well, I don't *think* that I have got an air horn (1996 1.9D 'Leader') but there do appear to be two horn type objects under the car and Haynes refers to LH and RH horn. Should I have two? Currently I have a feeble Noddy's car style beep when I use my horn. Should I actually be enjoying a monster 2 tone blast? Perhaps I need a new horn or horns? Has anybody replaced and/or upgarded their ZX horns, and has anything to say on the subject? Are the units just the standard type generic horns?
Ta!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Only the Volcane and 16v ZX's had air horns, the others just have a standard horn. It would be quite easy to buy a universal airhorn kit from Halfords or the like and bolt the compressor and horns in place where convenient under the bonnet. The power feed for the compressor must come via a relay, although I think this usually supplied with the kit. Relay connections will be supply in (i.e. the existing wire to the horn), supply out (to the compressor), earth, and battery +. Easy enough.
As regards the cig lighter thats Citroen only. Never changed one, have you tried removing the ashtray? That might maked things easier.
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Jon. Thanks. I don't especially want an airhorn, just wondering about the LH horn, RH horn thing.
Oh yes, I removed the ashtray!! The sequence was ashtray, unclip/bolt the gear lever surround and remove. Remove the fascia around the heater controls and cig lighter (screws located in the side and under where the ashtray goes). Remove the stereo, withdraw the whole lot. Try not to lose screws and remember which ones go where. It does not help that the Cit torx scres appear to be made out of custard and get rounded very easily!