c2 1.6 sensodrive what to look for

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

c2 1.6 sensodrive what to look for

Post by C5Alan »

My brother is looking at a 04 c2 1.6 with 48k miles and sensodrive that has had a new gearbox fitted and owner by a Citroen mechanic this seems a bit wrong and low mileage for a gearbox what should he be looking at as I don't know much about them
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
charentejohn
My Cars:

Re: c2 1.6 sensodrive what to look for

Post by charentejohn »

Not an expert but my wife just bought a C3 1.4 petrol one so I can tell you what we found when looking and what this one is like. Same setup as C2 I believe.

When looking we drove a diesel 100k miles with a replacement gearbox and the car just wasn't right. That is not to say a new box is a problem but if you can find another one to try then compare it to that. The one we looked at was perfect to look at but drove like it had been thrashed and then fixed. I think this is why it was just a bit off, box was ok but the rest of the mecanical bits weren't.

In automatic mode ours reacts just like a standard auto. If you start off slowly it will just edge forward slowly, but when you lift off the accelerator it stops moving. When standing outside the car when going from forward to reverse you can hear the actuator go click, no problem.

Gear changes are good and you can feel them, but only just. Personally I like this and have no problem with it as the change is just like counting 1. That is to say you start off then it '1' changes to 2nd then '1' changes to 3rd etc.
It changes quicker and smoother than I do that's for sure. So you should feel the changes but only just.

Using the paddles in auto mode is worth checking, wait till it changes to top gear, ease off the throttle a little and use the paddles to shift to 4th. Accelerate and it should automatically change to top again. Nice system.

I am in France so Sensodrive is just another system here, none of the fear of the unknown and garages who don't know what it is here. I told my neighbour we had bought a sensodrive and that people in the UK were not sure about them. He couldn't understand the problem as his (2 yr old C4 picasso) was also sensodrive, like he said excellent system and not a problem.

If they do go wrong they can be costly but basically they are a manual box with a solenoid doing the work for you, here they call them robot boxes (boite robotise). So the only extra bits apart from a normal manual box are the gearchange and clutch actuators, nothing to fear I think.

I have driven autos for a long long time and having driven a Sensodrive I would now go for this above a standard auto box. Be fair, these days they are all computer controlled so a normal auto will have lots of sensors so no difference in complexity really.

Main check is the gear changes so think of how you would drive a manual in a steady manner. So, clutch down, change gear, clutch up - and this should feel the same. Same timing/feel between all gears.
Some people say you are slung back and forwards when the gears change but not true. May happen if you floor it but then the people here say if you are going to do that then change manually using the stick or paddles.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives