Lets have some love for the C5 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Lets have some love for the C5 ?

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'd have a C5, it'll have to be a V6 though. I would want a Xantia V6, but Jim seems to own them all.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Peter.N. wrote: I think the early C5s are brilliant
And my work here is done :lol:

I never thought I would hear you say that peter :-D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

A picture overload ... :lol:

My 3 C5s, one on the right is my current one:

Previous VTR 110 HDi:

Past and present:

Current C5IIs:

Thats probably enough :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Post by sonoramicommando »

Graham55 wrote:...Hate the water going into the boot when I open the hatch, only on the left side, what a terrible design flaw....
absolutely - this is maddening oversight on citroën's part
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Love the exterior look of the "facelift" MKII C5 but really don't like the instrumentation of both the dash and the centre console. Having owned both a 1.9 TD SX Xantia and now a 2.2 SX C5 i much prefer the ownership of the C5. My Xant was great handling and rode beautifully but the electrics on it were a disaster, alarm constantly going off for no reason, various switches would work when they felt like it and the sunroof had a mind of its own. My C5 in comparison has been a model of consistency with the electrics...no faults whatsover. As for the auto lights/wiper debate, they are switchable so you pays your money and takes your choice as to whether you use them. Biggest annoyance with the C5 is concerned with the tailgate, no rear wash wipe and that infernal water ingression when you lift the hatch.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's been nearly a year since I sold my C5 2.2hdi SX and still miss it and regret selling it. During my three years with it the only issues were the heater resistor down by the clutch went rendering the heating u/s in the middle of winter, easy fix and the alternator went about 100000 miles. It averaged 40 to 45 mpg solo and 25mpg towing caravan. I would have another in a heartbeat if I needed a big car again. Several times we have discovered since selling it that the pug107 I have for commuting or the wifes mini are not big enough (eg every time we go to ASDA!), I am actually considering selling the 107 for another C5, probably a 2.0hdi 138 facelift in vtr, vts or excluslve trim, and if it were auto I would not complain. The C5 changed my motoring habits of a lifetime, I had never kept a car for more than a year, sometimes only a few weeks, but kept the C5 for 3yrs and took it from 50000 to 110000 miles in that time. Most comfortable car I have ever driven, and far better than my sisters mondeo tdci of the same age.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

so far, 2 weeks or so into C5 ownership..
been perfectly relliable.. confidence is high (was waning with the xant td by the end)

45mpg's using onboard display, based on two long frugal motorway journeys..

minor things:
replaced fan resistor thing, broke 5 miles into first journey..
Car is quite loud on acceleration, completely silent on overrun.. not sure if this is normal or I have a grommet missing..
front side lights and MF display lighting doesnt seem to work..
Xant made me want to tear it around on the lanes, C5 makes me drive quite the opposite, which is a shame in some ways..
however, great on long open roads - which I seem to be on often..
added leather, cruise (not working yet) - future additions, an Aux-in, roofbars, maybe an original keyset..

certianly feels like an upgrade to the old xantia.. even though it's only 3 years newer..
best journey, a late night trip from Suffolk back home a week ago.. really was glad to be in the C5. It almost drove me home, requiring so little input.. was also nice to turn most of the gauge's illumination off.. (the ones that often caused me so much panic in the xant)

John
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Very happy with my C5 III tourer, VTR+ spec 2.0 Hdi so steel springs, would have gone for exclusive had I found one at right time/ right price. I found auto lights and wipers a bit unnecessary but then had a couple of long trips in the alps through sunshine, heavy hailstorms, in and out of long tunnels, and it all behaved impeccably left to itself so I tend to set it to auto and leave it alone now. Probably of limited value here in UK but a real convenience in some parts of Europe.

Maybe not a 'proper' Citroen, but comfortable, modren looking, refined long distance machine with plenty of toys and more interesting than Vauxord Insigndeo. Think of it as a smallish estate (BMW 3 series, Audi A4) not the full size job that the old shape C5 was.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

At last we are getting good stuff on the C5, as people are putting picture of there cars up here s one of mine !

I do think the C5 is good value for money compared to skoda octavia or vw passat.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

'Love' mine?.....not in that sort of way, however as a workhorse nothing comes close.
apart from earlier this year with a moment that had me thinking of 'upgrading ?' to a III, maybe it was a little put out [-X , after taking it for MOT yesterday (funny how you suddenly realise!)with just enough time for a quick bulb/wipers/etc check....235k on the clock & passed with no advisories :lol:

whilst it's empty of work crap i may even vacuum & wash...... :shock:
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I do like the shape of the estate over the Saloon look alike, but I have no need for an estate.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Love my SX so much i treated her to some "fake" wood i bought off eBay for the princely sum of £12. 8-)

Next is a a set of this, problem is i've never seen a UK C5 with red leather!

09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ooh, I rate red leather. A burgundy Chesterfield is on my dream furniture list. 607s came with red "guts", from memory rather like the Alfa red in hue.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

SaabC5 wrote:Love the exterior look of the "facelift" MKII C5 but really don't like the instrumentation of both the dash and the centre console.
The centre dash on the C5II might look a bit more involved compared to the much more simple looking C5I, however, its all very easy to use.

The bottom section is heater controls, which is a better system than on the C5I. The location of the fan blowers (screen, face, feet etc) can be set to auto, which mine always is, as it works well. If its doing cool air then its usually to your face more but also feet or if its warm then its feet and windscreen. It always feels right and cools/warms without you noticing. It also has a automatic external air quality sensor, which cuts the recirculate on and off depending on the external air quality, seems to work very well. There is also a function which allows the dual zone climate temperature to be locked, so if you press the heater up or down button on the drivers side, it will also change the passenger side at the same time. Ideal if you are often in the car on your own. One press of the passenger switch and its individual again. The heater display is shown in the central dash display.

The upper section is for the radio but also trip computer/menu computer. Unlike the C5I there is a menu computer which you find using the buttons on the dash. It allows you to set the time etc like the C5I but also lets you set radio settings, air conditioning options, trip computer settings and so on. Its very simple and easy to use.

I do prefer the readout on C5IIs though, its slightly more updated and the trip computer display is more advanced. So you can have miles to empty and instant MPG showing at once. It also has two settings for the trip, so I have one setting running for a long mileage period and the second for each tank fill.

I like both designs, the C5I is more simple but the C5II is a bit more modern and also allows more functions and additional benefits. Its the same centre console you will see in the 407 and also in the C6 - which uses Exclusive centre consoles with the inbuilt phone, it looks the same just with even more buttons! :lol:
daviemck2006 wrote:It's been nearly a year since I sold my C5 2.2hdi SX and still miss it and regret selling it. During my three years with it the only issues were the heater resistor down by the clutch went rendering the heating u/s in the middle of winter, easy fix and the alternator went about 100000 miles. It averaged 40 to 45 mpg solo and 25mpg towing caravan. I would have another in a heartbeat if I needed a big car again. Several times we have discovered since selling it that the pug107 I have for commuting or the wifes mini are not big enough (eg every time we go to ASDA!), I am actually considering selling the 107 for another C5, probably a 2.0hdi 138 facelift in vtr, vts or excluslve trim, and if it were auto I would not complain. The C5 changed my motoring habits of a lifetime, I had never kept a car for more than a year, sometimes only a few weeks, but kept the C5 for 3yrs and took it from 50000 to 110000 miles in that time. Most comfortable car I have ever driven, and far better than my sisters mondeo tdci of the same age.
I like the 107/C1s a lot, they are cracking little cars, huge fun to drive, they cost peanuts to keep and hold their values very well. Their simplicity really appeals to me, I really enjoy driving ours, even on longer trips. I would miss my C5 if I sold it, I have threatened to change it a few times, as im not often settled with a car, however I am settled with the C5.

The 2.0HDI 138 is probably the engine I would recommend in a C5II. Its available in the VTR or Exclusive spec. Standard exclsuives do without leather or satnav, but they do have the all round parking pack, electric folding mirrors and xenons. Id be looking for one with the additional leather and satnav, If I was craving lots of spec. For me the VTR has more than enough and the seats are of the most modern fabric (leather apart) that was ever put in a C5I or II. Also be wary if you get an Exclusive, if the car is a dark colour it will have a light grey/cream interior, which insludes carpets, its not my cup of tea but its a bit of a pain to keep clean. I almost bought a dark blue 2.0 138 Exclsuive, glad I didnt as the interior is very grubby - my uncle bought that car instead. The 138 engine is great, full of torque, more than quick enough (feels more lively than the 2.2s to me) and mine is averaging 50MPG.
jgra1 wrote:so far, 2 weeks or so into C5 ownership..
been perfectly relliable.. confidence is high (was waning with the xant td by the end)

45mpg's using onboard display, based on two long frugal motorway journeys..

minor things:
replaced fan resistor thing, broke 5 miles into first journey..
Car is quite loud on acceleration, completely silent on overrun.. not sure if this is normal or I have a grommet missing..
front side lights and MF display lighting doesnt seem to work..
Xant made me want to tear it around on the lanes, C5 makes me drive quite the opposite, which is a shame in some ways..
however, great on long open roads - which I seem to be on often..
added leather, cruise (not working yet) - future additions, an Aux-in, roofbars, maybe an original keyset..

certianly feels like an upgrade to the old xantia.. even though it's only 3 years newer..
best journey, a late night trip from Suffolk back home a week ago.. really was glad to be in the C5. It almost drove me home, requiring so little input.. was also nice to turn most of the gauge's illumination off.. (the ones that often caused me so much panic in the xant)

John
It shouldn't be loud on acceleration, perhaps there is a grommet missing in the bulkhead. Is it just engine noise or does something sound worse than that?
The central display is very easy to change the bulbs in. Pop out the oval surround, best from the bottom edge, and there are two screws behind there to remove the display.
They are superb cruisers but they can be thrown around if the needs takes you, the grip should be more than there! They do very nearly drive themselves, the Activa I have brings out the worst in me, lead foot and interesting cornering ... the C5 makes be behave ... a little more :lol:
The 'dark' feature on the instruments is a neat little gimmick. Ive used it a good few time son long distance night runs. If a warning occurs it does light up again, so you have nothing to fear :roll:

RED LEATHER! :o :o :o 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) I think I need that interior :lol: Where is that car? Ill book a holiday and take some tools with me ... :twisted:

I don't really like leather, however I will make an exception for a red leather interior. Though I can't helping thinking it wont suit my Acelandic Grey C5, much more suited to a black one 8-) I am on the look out for a leather interior, it needs to be the dark grey/black one and in excellent condition. My dog has very short white hairs which, despite her only ever going in the boot, just cling to the C5s seats like glue. I hoover it weekly and its always tidy but the OCD in me would prefer a leather interior :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks for that Chris..

noise.. not sure.. doesnt sound to worrying.. just a little raspy..
the fan also makes a slightly irritating whistling..

Cleaned mine tonight for the first time.. with beige leather and a beige carpet it's looking ok ;)

if a little beige ;)