Lets have some love for the C5 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

Lets have some love for the C5 ?

Post by imperial21 »

I have recently bought a C5 which did take a bit of thinking about as i have read plenty on the forum and i think alot of it is quite negative to the C5, I want hear what people really think of them ???
I have had mine about a month i am getting used to it and still fixing the odd bits but on the whole i like the car and think it feels much more modern in comparison to my Xantia.
I am hoping the car will be reliable , i like to think its a good sign the amount still going that are taxis s and they have done star ship mileages.

With a lot of modern cars the electronics are complicated are the C5 s any worse ?

Thats my 2 pence worth for now what do you think ?
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Lets have some love for the C5 ?

Post by red_dwarfers »

I see loads of them knocking about, new ones and older ones, I can't really comment any more than that unless we go into looks. I prefer the style of the facelift and new C5 8-)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

...now what do you think ?
Butt ugly; furthermore I have nothing but scorn for the creative management who decided that trumpeting "Germanic" styling is a clever move. What next - a sales slogan of "Freedom through Work"?

Disconnecting the rear suspension from brakes was a poor move; it took the Citroën's inbuilt advantage (anti-dive) away and necessitated an off-the-shelf implementation of ESP. Thin metal panels, plastic headlight lenses. Lots of relatively useless features like tyre pressure sensors and auto lights, that take responsibility away from where it should rest - with the driver.

I'll keep my Xantia, thanks.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Addo I get the feeling you do not like the C5, got to say the auto lights are great especially as they come on with the wipers more cars should do that. I also like the Xantia but got the C5 as I wanted cruise and xexons.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Post by sonoramicommando »

i'm inclined to side with addo - it's ok (i'm being generous) but not great. the looks kinda grow on you but it's never a handsome car. extra features are handy but not that well thought out, like what good is power seat if it doesnt even have memory function.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:
...now what do you think ?
Butt ugly; furthermore I have nothing but scorn for the creative management who decided that trumpeting "Germanic" styling is a clever move. What next - a sales slogan of "Freedom through Work"?

Disconnecting the rear suspension from brakes was a poor move; it took the Citroën's inbuilt advantage (anti-dive) away and necessitated an off-the-shelf implementation of ESP. Thin metal panels, plastic headlight lenses. Lots of relatively useless features like tyre pressure sensors and auto lights, that take responsibility away from where it should rest - with the driver.

I'll keep my Xantia, thanks.
Totally agree.
Removing the mechanics from the height correction and replacing it with electronics? Seriously? Did they forget it was French? It is not going to bode well for their longevity.
With a proper Citroen you just need to keep the linkages lubed and they'll go on working. With a C5, you get a dodgy earth, or a sensor malfunction, or your electric pump burns out and you can't prevent it. Screw that!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Well as long as were all happy with are cars that's all that matters.

I missed out on the Xantia had a bx and went to look at a few xm's but decided at the time they were too big so got a 405 mi16 instead.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and the XANTIA is the last full blooded hydraulic citroen :cry: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Mi16 is fun; I call it the thinking man's 3-Series.

As a driver, I'm responsible for turning on my headlights, checking my tyre pressures and light globes, knowing wiper blade condition, keeping the mirrors clean and generally being accountable on the road for my own safety and that of all others -including pedestrians. Also as mentioned in another thread, I do a "walk-around" every time before getting in the car, so auto features are generally redundant.

Reverse cameras are a great sham; most people forward park and then - when departing, after the brain has switched out of driving mode - reverse over the kiddie or pensioner. If they reverse parked, this risk is all but eliminated.

The only credits I can offer the C5 are a six speed auto and better soundproofing. Oh, and possibly that diesel V6 - it seems a pretty gnarly unit.
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I think ADDO you are forgetting most modern cars are loaded with electronic rubbish, People would nt want a car with key operated locks and wind up windows ( my dad would ! ) i know i am taking the electrics further back than necessarry but what i am saying is its supplieing to demand, Citroen always like to be a little quirky ! Thats part of the charm to me over a ford, If i compared my C5 to the same era as a mondeo i would nt touch that with a barge poll, A TDCI mondeo should be spelt TROUBLE !!!
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote: and generally being accountable on the road for my own safety and that of all others
it seems to me we are in the minority of being aware of any other road user these days,
addo wrote: Reverse cameras are a great sham; most people forward park and then - when departing, after the brain has switched out of driving mode - reverse over the kiddie or pensioner. If they reverse parked, this risk is all but eliminated.
and you like i reverse into a parking bay were some inconsiderate has left there trolley instead of reaturning it to the trolley bay,

so the conclusion i come to there seems to be a definite need for cars to take more control from there ocu----pants
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I use remote locking simply because it wears the key barrels less! That saves me money.

The "hidden trolley" scenario is a bugger; as I pull up to reverse my flashers go on, I eyeball the parking spot - hopefully seeing any such items - then reverse in, on the gentlest sweep possible.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re:

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:The "hidden trolley" scenario is a bugger; as I pull up to reverse my flashers go on, I eyeball the parking spot - hopefully seeing any such items - then reverse in, on the gentlest sweep possible.
The only way to park!

Graham55

Post by Graham55 »

As someone else who has now owned their C5 for (2004 2.0 hdi) a month here are my comments:

Auto headlights - turned them off, early evening they would come on and go off for a pastime, I think that is dangerous to the car behind, he probably thinks i'm braking all the time.

Very comfortable, and a joy to drive.

Hate the water going into the boot when I open the hatch, only on the left side, what a terrible design flaw.

Electric seats, excellent but yes they need a memory function.

As it's my first diesel for a long time, fill ups are a lot rarer. My old petrol mercedes would do 29mpg, the computer is showing 44mpg after 1100 miles. I think this should be higher so i'm doing a brim to brim test.

As it's the Exclusive model, it's fully loaded, but why no rear wiper.

Loads of space for passengers and in the boot.

An awful lot of car for not a lot of money. I'm hoping to keep her for a few years.

Graham
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Steve, is that some Scandinavian treat they serve in IKEA cafés?