ZX Subframe mounts - Revisited

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

ZX Subframe mounts - Revisited

Post by Jon »

Finally got round to doing my ZX rear mounts yesterday at 121,000 miles.
See the "Common Problems and Fixes" section for more details on this, and in particular the wise words of Dave Burns.
I was very lucky that I was able to do this job on a 2 post ramp and used a hydraulic gearbox stand to support/lower/raise the rear beam, together with a step ladder to get up into the car to undo the mountings with out raising and lowering the ramp!! Thanks as ever to Louis Barbour for this.
Anyway, using the time served motor trade technique of the 1/2" drive windy gun with the 18mm socket and the spanner on the other side I quickly removed the front mounts. Fitted 4 new mounts. Put the 2 nuts and bolts back in on the o/s/f mount, and did it up. But, the nuts just span uselessly and did not grip the mount. Doh. At this point I remembered Dave's wise words about using a thread file after the nut and bolts are removed!!! Out with the angle grinder then to take them out.[:(!][:(]
By a miracle Louis had the correct (M12??) nuts and bolts in stock! When I came to do the L/H side I carefully cleaned up the threads, and used new lock nuts, all was well.
Couple of other things, When removing the rear dampers don't do what I did and remove the top damper mounting. Although it makes it really easy to change the front mounts its a nightmare to refit the damper. Far better to undo the bottom damper nut, then gently tap through the stud (be careful of the brake pipe!!). Makes it loads easier to refit the damper.
Also a good idea to have at least one brake flexi hose on hand, on the r/h side I gently moved the hose using only hand pressure to get a spanner on the subframe mount, and brake fluid started gently seeping from the top of the hose.[:I] Had to fit a new one.
In conclusion, use a thread file as Dave suggests on the front mount bolts, and I would stongly advise new lock nuts as well. Saves a load of hassle.
On the bright side, it was all done by Saturday lunch, it only cost me the 4 mounts, the clonking has gone and the ZX handles like it used to. Roadtest to a wedding in Thurrock on Saturday night then back to Swindon, 175 miles and just great.[:D]I remembered what a great car the ZX really is, and that in comparison over the same journey the Berlingo would have been like comparing the Grand Canyon to a drainage ditch. Basically.