c5 rear end clunk - now with pics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

c5 rear end clunk - now with pics

Post by C5Alan »

As per the title my c5 has developed a clunk from the rear I think its coming from passenger side it started on some pot holes and speed bumps, now started on some corners I have rulled out exhaust after giving it a good wiggle and not hearing it hit anything or seeing any damage so suspect suspension or something

Please help and say its easy and cheap to fix
Last edited by C5Alan on 09 Aug 2012, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: c5 rear end clunk

Post by Xantidote »

Starting with something simple - I assume the same applies to C5 as to Xantia - is the ride height correct?

Nothing loose in the boot? May sound daft, but amazing the stories one hears on this one

You sure it's at the back, and not noise travelling back from the front

Good luck!!
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Otherwise I would suspect the drop links.

Peter
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

Can't see it being the boot as its there both when full or empty seats up and down

Ride height seems to be ok it doesn't look wrong but no guarantee its not wrong

Don't think its traveling from the front as its after the back end comes off a speed bump

Drop links I have read about on here sound quite common might look into this a bit more hope they ain't too hard to sort where best to get them ecp? EBay or some where online?
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

OK, another simple one for you. How about a tiny bit of movement of the tailgate catch (assuming a hatchback). Experienced this on my Xantia. Noise only disappeared when a rear seat passenger held his hand firmly against the underside of the tailgate glass as we negotiated bumps/potholes.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

just been thinking and reading stuff but are the drop links not at the front as I got them done for the mot a couple of months ago

I will have a look at the tail gate see if it is loose cheers for the sugestion

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no drop links at the rear,

i would look at rear arm bearings, put the car on high, stand back from the rear end and look for this / this \ or this / \
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Possibly failing trailing arm bearings. Same bearings and seals as C15 BX etc. C5 wheels generally don't lean / \ like the other models when the bearings fail. The only symptom is usually a clang or clunk going over speed bumps etc. There are no drop links or anti roll bar bushings in the rear of the C5 as the ARB bolts solidly to the trailing arms. The topic is covered on at least 2 previous threads. A less likely cause is the rear axle mountings.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think there are two failure modes for C5 rear arm bearings. The clunk, which sounds more like a click sometimes, is caused by the rollers making grooves in the bearing surface. Quite often you'll get two noises- one as the roller comes out of the groove and another as it goes back in. Our estate made this noise for well over a year before the bearing was changed, with no ill effects.

The other failure mode is collapse of the bearing, giving a creaking noise. The other bearing on our estate did this for only a few days before it was fixed, and it had already started to damage the arm.

I bought this kit http://www.aepdirect.com/rear-arm-beari ... ory_id=754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to do mine. Only the bearings and seals can be used but it still seems the cheapest and easiest way to get them. You can top up the kit with individual parts from Citroen but usually you can reuse everything else. They are in Rutherglen so you could get them over the counter, but their delivery was fast and reasonable as I recall.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you can also just buy the bearings and seals from GSF then buy the spacer tube and end bush's from citroen,

look up the C5 arm bearing thread i posted all the price's and part No.'s for all the bits and were to get them
Regards, malcolm.

C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

Bearings are not something I am happy to change I don't have access to a press and the bfh method did not go well the last time when trying to do a wheel bearing ended up with a replacement hub having to be sourced and a garage to fit both not fun

Would the rear arm be easy to fit ok I'm sure more expensive but if the arm already possibly damaged anyway saves buying a repair kit and then the arm and at least I will know its all sorted at once

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

A press is not required. The arm will not be damaged. At least I have never come across one that had any significant damage. A second hand arm will probably need new bearings anyway. I don't know if replacement arms are available pre-fitted with bearings. Most arms have spacer shims fitted. These are to apply the correct pretension to the bearings. They should be reused in the arm to which they were fitted. The main thing when replacing bearings is not to spare the grease. The replacements will probably last longer than the originals.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

BX wrote: The arm will not be damaged. At least I have never come across one that had any significant damage.
you obviously have not done very many rear arms them :wink:

these bearings require two short beads of mig at opposite sides of the inner face of the outer race, this firstly heats them up and secondly gives you something to drift them out by, that is if they dont drop out with the heat
Regards, malcolm.

C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

well it looks like this is going to have to be a garage job then :(

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Have never seen bearing seat damage. The arm could always take the new cup. If the arm is damaged where the seal fits I always got over it by using silicon sealant. Tec 7 now seems to be better for this job and is non corrosive. To remove the bearing cups from the arm "modify" a large rawl bolt by welding on a piece of steel to each of the expanding arms. I used a strong washer then cut it in 3. Tighten up the rawl bolt to catch the bearing cup then drift it out from the far side without damaging the plastic tube. A tubular drift is needed. If you hit the bolt itself all collapses. Hydraulic Citroens are easy. The worst was the Peugeot 305 van where you had to fight the spring to get the arm back. I was able to make up a spring compressor for the strut of the C15 van. I will post a pic of the rawl bolt tool if I get a chance.