C5 electric questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: C5 electric questions

Post by cachaciero »

jgra1 wrote:
and another (I now think) simple question..

(In theory) Can i change the ignition lock, door locks and reprogram 2 (proper) keys, to give me back RCL as is easy with a Xantia etc?
The seat-donor car has all of these parts at an ok price..
the main issue, the non standard alarm (which I am not owrried about losing)..

I wont be taclking this for a few days :) obviously will visit a lexia owner..
Maybe you should make that a new thread could get complicated :-)

In theory yes, in practice think it might be easier to go and buy a car with what you want already fitted. :-)

The central locking system is tied to the alarm system and it sounds like you don't even have the factory alarm fitted.
Apart from the locks you need the reciever unit now I am not 100% sure would have to do some research but believe that is part of the COM2000 unit so if you don't have the right COM2000 that would need to be changed having changed everything the locking and alarm there will be a requirement to set options in the BSI might even be necessary to download new code to it don't really know. Suggest you do some research on part numbers for cars with and without central locking to see if the part numbers are the same for COM2000 and BSI You will need a Lexia for this exercise.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, I was in electronics all my working life but I still only fully understand things with valves in them, you could usually just look at a circuit and see what was wrong with it, a fat chance of that now. BUS lines were just coming along in TV when I retired and although I could see what they did I couldn't see how they did it, repair was largely a matter of guesswork, as it seems to be with most aspects of car repairs now.

My first two cars had side valve engines, a '39 Ford Prefect and a much more refined '51 Hillman Minx, although the early OHV engines were easier to work on.

I think the increased C5 posts and decrease in Xantia/XM posts reflects the numbers on the road, there are very few XMs now, probably only a couple of hundred, I have scrapped two this year but still have one surviving, one of the scrapped ones was replaced with a C5, so there you are a decrease in XM posts and an increase in C5 :-D

Peter
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Peter.N. wrote:Mmm, I was in electronics all my working life but I still only fully understand things with valves in them, you could usually just look at a circuit and see what was wrong with it, a fat chance of that now. BUS lines were just coming along in TV when I retired and although I could see what they did I couldn't see how they did it, repair was largely a matter of guesswork, as it seems to be with most aspects of car repairs now.

Peter
I think that as you get older there comes a time when the brain just refuses to climb the next" vertical learning cliff" certainly true in my case :-(

To understand BUS's in general terms is not so difficult, generally from a troubleshooting point of view what you need to know is what the various bits connected to the bus produce in the way of data and what data they need to do whatever it is they do. e.g Auto gearboxe's need to know what Torque the engine is producing as does the ESP system so logically the Engine ECU calculates engine Torque, just need to get that data to the Autobox ECU and the ESP ECU i.e via "the BUS" . However if you want / need to see what is actually happening on the bus then you need to know much more about how it works both at a hardware level and a software protocol level.i.e electrically how many data wires are there and what voltage levels represent a 0 and 1.
Some buses may consist of many wires each with a predefined function i.e a processor bus on a PC motherboard where you may have 16 address lines and 8 data lines, these are generically known as parallel buses and are quite easy to interrogate and understand with a logic analyser. However most modern buses that are used to connect different modules separated by some distance are serial in nature often using no more than two wires. The advantages are reduced wire count and a reduced number of connections all of which equals reduced cost and increased reliability which is why they figure so much in modern cars (and before cars aeroplanes). If you want an example just look at the number of wires and connectors that go to the Dashboard on the XM and then look at the C5.
Taking the previous PC motherboard example and converting it to a serial data stream requires that the address data and the data data are put into a serial stream in such a way that it can be reliably decoded at the other end. This would require as a minimum 24 bits being transmitted however to complicate things there needs to be a way of indicating the start of the message packet and a way of separating the two parts of the message i.e address data and data data into individual sub packets add to this extra bits for proof of data integrity and the complete message packet might be as long as 32 bits or considerably longer if data is represented as ascii characters. To actually read the data of a serial data bus requires something a bit more complicated than a logic analyser something like a PC with the correct hardware interface for the Bus being examined which is....yes you got it a Lexia ....well close anyway, in fact the Lexia gets all of it's data indirectly via the K line on certain ECU's or the Diagnostic CAN bus.
The Lexia only has one draw back which is that you cannot connect it directly to a data bus and read the raw data directly. However I cannot imagine any circumstances in normal troubleshooting where this facility would ever be required so it's not really a problem.
As I said at the beginning you don't really need to know about the bus in this level of detail BUT YOU DO need to know what data each ECU produces and which ECU's use the data or you can find yourself scratching your head or worse chasing things that don't exist.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you are quite correct, when I first started in the trade I soaked up new technology like a sponge, but it was such simple technology, when I try to do it now my brain goes into standby. As long as my Lexia will give me the required data. if I ever get it working, how it does it will I'm afraid remain a mystery to me.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

cachaciero wrote:...BUT YOU DO need to know what data each ECU produces and which ECU's use the data or you can find yourself scratching your head or worse chasing things that don't exist.
This is the bit it seems a number of mechanics struggle with; the idea that a task might be "outsourced" to a component not initially in the firing line.

The scarcity of wires into a modern column hub, is just beautiful.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re:

Post by cachaciero »

addo wrote:
cachaciero wrote:...BUT YOU DO need to know what data each ECU produces and which ECU's use the data or you can find yourself scratching your head or worse chasing things that don't exist.
This is the bit it seems a number of mechanics struggle with; the idea that a task might be "outsourced" to a component not initially in the firing line.

The scarcity of wires into a modern column hub, is just beautiful.
I totally agree with both observations :-) but it does bring me back to something I said earlier; Outside of the Citroen produced Training Documentation which in the normal way of things I imagine would only be available to technicians from a Citroen Franchise who's boss will have been generous enough to pay the course fees, where is this data available? not on Citroen Service web site not that I can see anyway. THe Training Documentation has some very good documentation which lists every ECU what sensors they use and what data they produce and which BUS it is connected to complete with a drawing showing physical locations IMHO an essential document for looking into more complicated problems but it isn't available even from Citroens pay by the hour service site.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Cachaciero:

Thank very much for what I found to be a very helpful general outline about BUSs, in your recent post. Not saying I understand it all 100%, especially the Bits bit, but I think things are falling into place a little bit more for me, so thank you :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Xantidote wrote:Cachaciero:

Thank very much for what I found to be a very helpful general outline about BUSs, in your recent post. Not saying I understand it all 100%, especially the Bits bit, but I think things are falling into place a little bit more for me, so thank you :-D
Hi Martin

Glad that you found it useful, the reason that I wrote what amounted to a mini tutorial was to help people understand better how modern cars work so it's nice to know that I have helped at least one person to do this.

The bits thing? o.k well in digital electronics as you probably know data is represented in 1's and 0's the least amount of data you can have is one "line" which will be at 1 or 0 depending, this is a bit, so in computer terms an 8 bit processor will have a data bus of 8 input / output lines i.e 8 bits, this will allow the encoding 2 to the power 8 integer numbers i.e 256. 256 equates to all lines being a one assuming positive logic.

The address bus of such a processor will be larger, often 16 bits wide which allows 2 to the power 16 i.e 65536 individual memory locations to be selected to read from or write to on the 8 bit data bus.
Hope that makes things a little clearer :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:evil: Just wait until the ECUs have quantum processors :twisted:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just woken up from a snooze in the conservatory and apart from the fact that I am hot I actually understand that last bit about bits, well mostly anyway, must be because my brain has had a reactivation period. :-D

Peter
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

myglaren wrote::evil: Just wait until the ECUs have quantum processors :twisted:
Lets not go there, whenever I start to read something about quantum physics in an effort to understand better my brain goes into "vertical cliff learning" mode and flips, brain falls of cliff, eyes fall of paper / screen and there is this overwhelming desire to go to sleep :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC