Water temperature and gear problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IrfanIbrahim
My Cars:

Water temperature and gear problems.

Post by IrfanIbrahim »

Hi im new here. :)

Just a few questions regarding my xantia.

1st- what is the optimum water temperature? my xantia had around 90-95 and wasnt it is abit high? my mechanics said it would be better to change the radiator tank to larger/wider one? will it work? or is there any other problems that influence the water temperature to rise?

2nd- it happens just a week ago when the gears does not change smoothly when going from 1st to second. but few days later, the problem seems to get bigger when the gear does not change at all from 1st to second. it wont change under 3k RPM under slow driving and only change when the rpm around 3k and above...

please advice. :?
1994 Xantia 2.0I

Keep calm & drive a xantia!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Water temperature and gear problems.

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the water temperature is stable, and not going higher, then I would not be too concerned. Before changing the radiator, I would change the thermostat and maybe the temperature gauge sensor, as they are cheaper, and more likely to fail. Xantia radiators seem to be adequate even in hot climate countries.

Your transmission is not electronically controlled, so you can't do much more than check the fluid level (low fluid could cause high shift points).
IrfanIbrahim
My Cars:

Re: Water temperature and gear problems.

Post by IrfanIbrahim »

When the temperature reach around 95, the fan starts running and it will cool down untill 85, and it starts to rise again and keep on repeating.. I wont say it is stable. And i had change the water temperature sensor last month. :|

I had check the fluid level and it seems to be in normal state. My mechanics had check the fluid level too and he said I need to change the gearbox. :cry:
1994 Xantia 2.0I

Keep calm & drive a xantia!