Citroen Xantia 2.0l HDi.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Citroen Xantia 2.0l HDi.

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

I have a Citroen Xantia and it has been a good and reliable car for over 2 years now. I have fixed a few things myself and had some good advice from this website before.

I have had a problem I have been putting off dealing with. About 2 months ago I noticed a high pitched whistle coming from the back end when I was going along. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side and when I throw the car from left to right (when moving) the whistle stops. It has been a nagging noise that has slowly got worse. Yesterday it started sounding alot louder and not healthy.

Has anyone got any advice on what this might be? I have changed the spheres and the break pads front but not done much to the back. I have had a look and think the pads are ok, but I haven't taken the wheel and pads apart yet to have a decent look.

Steve
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroën Xantia 2.0l HDi.

Post by CitroJim »

Steve,

It's possibly one of two things. Most likely are in fact the rear claipers showing signs of corrosion and causing the pads to sit at a nasty angle to the disc. It's a very common problem. Pop the rear pads out and see if they're worn wedge-shaped or the caliper sits like this in relation to the disc:

They should look like this:

It's caused by dis-similar metal corrosion between the caliper and the trailing arm building up a layer of aluminium oxide the pushes the claiper out and at an angle.

If they do look like the first picture it's necessary to have the calipers off and clean them up. Intrinsically it's not hard but there's a risk of snapping the caliper mounting bolts. Look around and there’s been a few threads discussing how to do the job - one quite recent one. I'll see if I can dig it out...

Other than that it's likely a rear wheel bearing. Spin the hub with the pads out and it should spin absolutely silently. Any noise or roughness, however slight, indicates a duff bearing.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, this is a good thread on caliper bolts...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Thankyou for responses.

I will be looking at the rear calipers today to see if I need to order some new citroen bolts. It looks like it is rare to sheer the bolts. Will asses later and decide.

Steve
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine are apparently going on around now, with new discs. MOT this afternoon. He is cutting it rather fine.
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Have had a look at the calipers and the existing pads. They both look good. There is at least 4mm on all 4 pads. The calipers are straight and not twisting.

I did notice a small lip on the discs. Less than a 1mm but still a lip. I also noticed 2 fairly old and rusted spheres. They are probably original about 14 yr old this year.

Could the spheres cause this whistling coming from the drivers side wheel. When I throw the car from left to right the whistling stops also when i touch the break pedal the noise stops. It must be either the discs or the spheres.

Steve
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

That wont be the spheres... external condition has nothing to do with how they are performing inside.

The sqeak Will be brake dust.. touching the brake to eliminate it sort of confirms that... Fit a set of rear pads.. they are only around £15 a set.. You may need THIS KIT to assist you as the pad securing bolt useually rusts and snaps..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Can't remember off-hand, but were Xantia rear pads fitted with anti-rattle shims? Could it be that?

My first thoughts were picked up by CitroJim, but you've eliminated that. Did you follow up his suggestion to check the hub bearings?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That fitting kit is outrageously expensive!
I recall reading somewhere that Halfords do them at a much lower cost.
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

ok,

Thanks for replies.

Yep calipers looks good and the pads look fairly new. Seems a shame to replace with new pads and will the new ones do the same thing in a few miles. Would like to solve whatever is causing this. I agree that the spheres on the back are only older looking on the outside because of their exposed position. I think they are working fine, the car goes up & down well.

I didn't know about anti-rattle shims. In fact I still don't. Would this cause the problem? Are you sure they are fitted to my car. Car was registered in last week of 1998. Is a S reg 2.0l hdi (110bhp) Xantia.

No I haven't checked the hub bearings, am sort of hoping it isn't the bearings. How can I 'check' the hub bearings?

Thanks for advise,

Steve