C5 comfort spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LD

C5 comfort spheres

Post by LD »

I want to obtain a set of comfort spheres for my C5. aep direct have the front ones but not the rears (or vice-versa); they quote 6 to 8 weeks to get hold of the others :( . eurocarcare in Derby don't stock any, and quote a similar time scale. Is there any way of obtaining them faster than that? eurocarcare suggested that I need to find a wholesaler on the continent who'd be willing to supply me directly (they're made by IFHS in Belgium). Mine has the Hdi 2.2 engine, hydractive 3, and the sports switch (though it's most unlikely that I'd ever use it).

Comfort spheres made a great difference on my Xantia :-D , so I very much want them for the C5. Any thoughts?
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C5 comfort spheres

Post by Citroenmad »

I don't like them, the way for a softer ride is to have increased pressure in the spheres, not to have an increased damper hole - which is all acomfort sphere has. That plays with the damping, giving an underdamped ride in my opinion.

I did have a normal C5 (non Sport model) on comfort spheres, I bought the car with them fitted, but they were so underdamped that they didn't stay fitted for very long at all. Mind, I dont hang about with my driving so if comfort is what your after, then its maybe the way to go. C5 spheres can be regassed, though its far from as straightforward as for those on Xantias etc.

I also found the C5 had too limited suspension travel to cope with the poor damping, it would top and bottom on its suspenion all too easily.

However, as yours is the fully hydractive version, you will still have some for of active damping.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
viorelovidiu
My Cars:

Post by viorelovidiu »

Hello,

I have 2.2 hdi engine as well with hydractive 3+. two months ago i`ve ordered 2 spheres on front for my car but i got 57bar spheres for normal hydractive... so I bought for rear side second hand spheres with good pressure also for normal hydractive. After I fitted them my car becomed very softly and nice to drive soaking up almost all bumps and potholes without a problem. Like citroenmad said is bottoming out in some occasion when sport function doesnt cut out central spheres but doesnt happen very often like my ex C5 with normal hydractive (Yes it was fitted with comfort spheres). So... if you press Sport button you should have a normal hidractive suspension which is pretty stable. I know that many of citroen dealers in UK have clients complaining about the harsh ride of hydractive 3+ so they have replaced for free with non hydractive spheres.

I dont know if with dedicated comfort spheres for hydractive 3+ will be more controllable than using non hydractive spheres and bottoming out effect still occur. There is very little information about those spheres. Only here someone puts hydractive spheres on front but comfort h3+ ones on the rear like I did finally on my ex C5.

Cheers,
Ovidiu
Citroen C5 2005 2.2 HDI 136cp Exclusive BVA
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138cp Exclusive
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0i 143cp SX
LD

Post by LD »

Thanks to both respondents; although you have different points of view, that's helpful, as it gives me a balanced picture. I've compared both cars over the same local roads, and would say the C5 hydractive on its standard spheres gives a better ride than the non-active Xantia on comfort spheres.

I agree that comfort spheres can make a car seem under-damped, but I found the standard spheres on my Xantia unbearably harsh, so the comfort ones are an acceptable compromise.

My ideal is still my 1973 Peugeot 504, which has huge suspension travel, and goes smoothly over bumps that are very noticeable in either a Xantia or C5. I have a friend who's a motoring journalist, and says the only cars nowadays that ride as well as the 504 are Jaguars; and they're completely out of my price range. Just a pity the 504 doesn't have air-conditioning, but I'm looking into that . . . It seems that the only way I'll find out whether I like comfort spheres on the C5 will be to try them.

The other factor that makes a difference is tyres. On my Xantia it was possible to change to narrower ones with a higher profile, and they definitely helped. I think the width went from 205 to 195. Does anyone know if there are similar options for the C5? I do drive very gently, and rarely use the acceleration available in modern cars; I'm far more concerned about comfort.
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The only real tyre change for yours would possibly be to 205/60/16s, slightly narrower and slightly taller in profile too. Or you could try getting hold of some 15" wheels, which will have either 195/65/15 (2.0 models) or 205/65/15 (2.2 SXs and all earlier 2.0 estates).
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
viorelovidiu
My Cars:

Post by viorelovidiu »

there is someone here that noticed how first series of C5 was softer than MK1 series? Many of us will think about tyres, same diameters but smaller rims - yes, taller profile gives confort but looking into service citroen I noticed that spheres are slightly different between those series even on the same engines. they have different code so internals will be different as well but the pressure is the same.

I`ll try this winter to buy a set of 15" wheels like a friend of mine who noticed that comfort was improved and increased fuel economy.
Citroen C5 2005 2.2 HDI 136cp Exclusive BVA
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138cp Exclusive
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0i 143cp SX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought I was the only one who cared passionatly about a comfortable ride. I have been driving XMs on comfort spheres for years and find most modern cars to have a completely unacceptable ride and would agree wholeheartedly with the comments about the 504 and Jaguars. I recently compromised and bought a 406 estate, nice car to drive but dreadful ride in comparison with the CX/XM, I now have a C5 which has brought me back into the realms of comfort, I find the ride quite good on standard spheres, that could of course be because I am becoming accustomed to the ride of the 406. Certainly the taller the tyres the better the ride but there are variations between makes/types. If I had my way we would go back to crossplys :-D

Peter