Citroen ZX Automatic Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mainframe444

Citroen ZX Automatic Diesel

Post by mainframe444 »

Hello.

Does anyone out there know of a good (but inexpensive) place to get an autobox repaired from the ZX diesel?

Or anywhere we can get a replacement secondhand one.

I believe the petrol version of the autobox can't be swapped for the diesel ones as the ratios are different, unless you know otherwise!

We own one of these relatively rare cars, the estate version as well, with only 105,000 miles on the clock.

Having shown no signs of any problems, last Sunday I pulled up to a junction, and the car behaved like a manual that you've forgotten to dip the clutch on, trying to stall. I then found there was no forward drive, but I still had reverse.

I suspect the gearbox has failed internally and needs to be rebuilt.

We would like to keep this car, as it is otherwise in very good order.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Citroen ZX 1.9D SX Auto Estate
Citroen Saxo 1.5 XD
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Citroën ZX Automatic Diesel

Post by spider »

I like these, I wanted one but was unable to find one (I wanted a 3 door one specifically!) at the time :(

I think you're right the final drive and ratio's will be highly unsuitable for the diesel, it will probably fit but you'd find it would use a *lot* more fuel and have a lower top speed, ie normal cruising at legal speeds would be high rpm...

Have you checked the fluid level and condition ? , I think these use inexpensive fluid and thoughtfully have a dipstick for level checking ?

I can't help with specifics unfortunately.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

were are you located, as there is a very good gear box man in Hastings East Sussex,

or you could try these people as they are cit/pig dismantlers

http://www.pcr767676.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a third option might be convert it to manual, quite an easy job realy
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
mainframe444

Post by mainframe444 »

spider wrote:I like these, I wanted one but was unable to find one (I wanted a 3 door one specifically!) at the time :(

I think you're right the final drive and ratio's will be highly unsuitable for the diesel, it will probably fit but you'd find it would use a *lot* more fuel and have a lower top speed, ie normal cruising at legal speeds would be high rpm...

Have you checked the fluid level and condition ? , I think these use inexpensive fluid and thoughtfully have a dipstick for level checking ?

The fluid and condition is OK, and the fact that it's got reverse seems to confirm it's a mechanical rather than a fluid fault
Last edited by mainframe444 on 24 Jul 2012, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Saxo 1.5 XD
mainframe444

Post by mainframe444 »

citronut wrote:were are you located, as there is a very good gear box man in Hastings East Sussex,

or you could try these people as they are cit/pig dismantlers

http://www.pcr767676.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a third option might be convert it to manual, quite an easy job realy

I'm in nottingham, so a bit far away.

We would like to keep it as an auto, my wife needs the automatic due to health issues.
Citroen Saxo 1.5 XD
mainframe444

Post by mainframe444 »

Does anyone on here know if this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150748721139? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

would fit my ZX?

Haynes show it as a 4HP14 with a code of GZ57.

The vendor is unable to confirm if this is the same box.

Does anyone out ther have a haynes manual for the Xantia who can check the exact gearbox code before I go and but the wrong box?

Thanks for any help.
Citroen Saxo 1.5 XD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looking at Xantia data, the code for the 1.8 petrol is 2GZ67, for the 2.0 petrol 2GZ68 amd for the 1.9D 2GZ80.

The 2GZ67 and the 2GZ80 have identical gear ratios right across the board but where they differ is the change up and change down speeds. The diesel 'box changes at lower road speeds... the 2GZ68 has different ratios..

The change speeds in a hydro-mechanical 'box like this will be controlled by the governor.

The Haynes code for a GZ57 I would think is a 1.8 petrol one.

So, what the vendor has there is a 2GZ80 I would imagine. At a guess it'll probably do fine in the ZX.

It would help enormously if anyone has the pukka ZX 4HP14 specifications so that we can cross-reference to be sure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you havent got the exact model details for your ZX box send me the last 8 digits of you chassis/VIN No. and i will get it from service citroen
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
mainframe444

Post by mainframe444 »

Last 8 digits are....

00L60538

Thanks
Citroen Saxo 1.5 XD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:if you havent got the exact model details for your ZX box send me the last 8 digits of you chassis/VIN No. and i will get it from service Citroën
Malcolm, now you have the VIN, what we need is the full set of ratios, including the final drive and speedo drive and the change up/change down speeds...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...