Damp rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Damp rear spheres

Post by hirsty »

Whilst checking over before booking in for an MOT, I noticed the rear suspension spheres on both sides were damp with what I presume to be LHM. Where is this likely to be weeping from ? ( There is no drip or marks on the drive below ) and will this result in a fail? The car has been sat on the drive since last September so I presume any leakage onto the concrete would be visible. The LHM level appears OK and the car rises and falls perfectly, although on occasions the rear has dropped after about 30 seconds when started. No-one seems to want a 2.0i auto these days and I am loathe to spend money on what is currently an ornament on my drive. The body and leather interior are in excellent condition and the engine and box work as they should, but I really need to get rid. The thought of scrapping the car makes me shudder.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Damp rear spheres

Post by citronut »

a leak at/by the rear sphere could be the sphere seal to cylinder ( easy fix ), strut boot/gaiter split/perished ( bit more work to fix ) or the cylinder body corroded/starting to corrode through were it mounts in the sub frame (bit more work to fix )

check the easiest bits first
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years