It's big, it's sleek, it'll be mine next week.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: It's big, it's sleek, it'll be mine next week.

Post by qprdude »

Quick update. The supplying garage collected the car and left a loaner. They fixed the aircon and returned the car two days later (garage is over 100 miles away). Icy cold A/C. "000 mile journey completed since then and all OK. Could do with a few cubbies though.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Very nice, a similar spec to mine, if like me you wish to know how everything works it'll take you a while to work everything out :lol: I'm very impressed with the car and quite surprised at the positive impression its given me, they are brilliant on motorways very quiet, settled and a real pleasure to be in. The torque available from the 2.2 is rather addictive, just the slightest squeeze on the accelerator gives you a nice push in the back, I sometimes wonder why the car has six gears.

As I'm still finding my way around the car I'm experimenting with using different gears and speeds to see what effect it has on fuel consumption, this weeks findings are that cruising at 65+ rather than say 55 improves consumption by 4 mpg :? the only explanation I can find for this anomaly is that the suspension lowers the car when speeds exceed 100 kph and maintains that height until the speed sinks below 70 kph, a lower ride height improves aerodynamics and reduces drag.

Re tyres they are rather expensive, I noticed that they are listed on Citroen Service at the rather eye watering price of £537.92 each :shock: still look around and you'll find bargains (but don't bother with Costco I enquired there last night and they want £265) I've just picked up a set of Dunlops for little more than I'd have paid for a set for my HDi Xantia :-D

Re tyre pressure sensors and swapping tyres around I believe you can do that without having to use Diagbox (diagnostic tool) you certainly can program the car for two sets of wheels if you want to have a spare sets of wheels with winter tyres. Oh and if you want to update the satnav map a new one was released on Thursday, even if you don't update the map new software is available which apparently offers a night mode and improved appearance to the display, you can also for just a few quid get speed cameras added to the map. I hope you enjoy the car as much as I'm enjoying mine :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Salivate, salivate, salivate!!! I wants', I does (but I ain't got the pennies, damn it!)
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, I'm certainly enjoying mine. I'd be interested to know where and how to get the Sat Nav update. I don't have the touch screen Nav as my car is a 2008. Not sure if the updated maps would be ok or if they can be added. To be honest, apart from getting lost on a very small "B" road, the sat nav has done very well.
It's still a surprise when I see someone staring at the car, either on the road or when parked up. It's definitely a car that attracts admiring glances. Caught a neighbour peering into it last week and asked him if he would like to have a drive. No thanks he said, It would spoil everything for me, I have an Avensis and I could never afford a machine like yours. (If only he knew how affordable they are becoming.
Rick.

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

A nice car (but I would say that wouldn't I)
Mine's gone 81k without a hicup. 730 mile range on a tank and 49mpg on average.

For other C5X7 owners: Having moved from waranty servicing at £350 a throw, I now do it muself for under £100 and not difficult (now I've found that pollen filter! - lhs back of centre console but high up almost behind radio!) Hex key for sump and 27mm ring/socket for oil & fuel filters.

If anyone got the voice activation on the phone to work or AV sockets in the glove box to work on an X7 please say as Citroen say it can't be done.

A few watch-its
You seem to be on the RT4 Navidrive. This came our with software 7.2 on the X7. It has a habit of locking up requiring reboot (hold DARK for 8 seconds), the phone does not always find signal etc. but this can be fixed with a software upgrade (easy, did mine myself). It has gone through version 8.11 to current 8.2 after which these problems dissapear (but you loose the analogue clock and get a compass and altimeter instead!). On maps you can get the UK speed camera alert for £7 (yes, seven pounds only) but you need at least software V8.11 to run it (its good for under a tenner)
The RT4 unit has a fault Citroen know about, they list a modification in their main dealer guides but will charge you. If you play a CD for over 2hrs the unit overheats and shuts down (sat nav, phone the lot) for about 40 minutes. The cause is the proximity of the heater ducts to the unit and blockage of the RT4 vents on the X7 model. The cure by them is fitting additional venting, heat shields etc. but the easy DIY solution is to put CDs on the hard drive which will run hapilly for 8hrs non-stop.

Outside temperature sensor can be tempremental

Tyre noise can be high if you get the wrong tread pattern

Side light and number plate lights seemed to blow every time I sneezed but since going LED there is no problem.

Most bulb changes are quite easy except for day-light running lights which take me back to the C5 S1 i.e. it is a bumper off job. Bend lights haven't blown yet but they look tight.

Alloys attract brake dust like nobody's business because of the big pads and open wheel style. Can't be prevented but if, when you wax the car you put a good wax on the wheels as well then it all washes off easily.(most folk wax the car but not the alloys!)

If playing with buttons and you've not found it, use door mirror registrations for reversing - so when you select reverse mirror drops and shows rear wing and as you pull forward it re-sets. Brilliant! (had it on the C5 S1 so I knew it was there)

Great car and the possitives are too many to mention.

enjoy!

Mike
UK Midlands currently with C5 (X7) Exclusive 2.0 HDI + 2 Pug 306s (Meridian and L) and a Pug 206L a/c
Previous C5 1 Exclusive 2.0 HDI, Pug 407LX HDI, 2No. Pug 406s LX HDI, Pug 309GLD, Pug 205GL, Pug 505GL, Pug 604SE, Pug 504ti
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

qprdude wrote:I'd be interested to know where and how to get the Sat Nav update. Not sure if the updated maps would be ok or if they can be added.
You get the updated maps here. I've just placed a order for updated maps/software/camera alerts so I'll let you know how it goes when I get them installed.
qprdude wrote:It's still a surprise when I see someone staring at the car, either on the road or when parked up. It's definitely a car that attracts admiring glances.
You're right there, the number of compliments about how attractive it looks increases by the day, I drove my Xantia today and it was like stepping back in a time warp, crikey Xantia's are noisy beasts :lol:

I can't help thinking that all the talk of excessive road noise is as a result of the engine, wind and suspension noise being so subdued thereby leaving nothing but tyre/road noise left.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
It's still a surprise when I see someone staring at the car, either on the road or when parked up. It's definitely a car that attracts admiring glances.
You're right there, the number of compliments about how attractive it looks increases by the day,[/quote]

Having seen it in the flesh, I think it's extremely sexy. The only thing I've seen nicer is a friend's Alfa 159 JTDM Sportwagon. I haven't been inside the C5, but I have driven the Sportwagon. It's nice. I expect the Citroen interior is nicer though.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

From the link, it looks like the map update is £109. Thats a little steep for me right now, but I would appreciate knowing how your update goes DickieG. I'm presuming that the updates are on CD and are loaded from the cars player?
Rick.

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

qprdude wrote:From the link, it looks like the map update is £109. Thats a little steep for me right now, but I would appreciate knowing how your update goes DickieG. I'm presuming that the updates are on CD and are loaded from the cars player?
I started loading on the updates last night and continued during today whilst I travelled down to the south coast, as I'm popping over to Belgium next month and wanted the latest French map as well I bought the complete set for Europe which in total is I think 13 CD's including the latest software 8.20 and speed camera's. Each disc takes around 20-25 minutes to load during which you must keep the engine running to avoid the system shutting down mid update due to eco mode being activated so to avoid wasting several hours of leaving the car idling I just loaded discs as you would a normal CD and did the updates along the way so to speak. To do the update you just pop the CD into the slot then click "Yes" to install the update and the system does the rest popping out the CD when each update is completed, when updating the software the radio shuts off but when doing maps it still operates as normal although you lose the screen with a timing bar. The appearance of the satnav screen is improved and you now have the option of a night mode to avoid glare from the screen, the "risk areas" aka camera alerts can be adjusted for how early you want the alarm to sound and yes it is an alarm being a load beep followed by a quieter one once you have passed the camera :lol: . The wheeze factor with the CD's is that there isn't a code or password to enter so once you have loaded them you can pass them onto another family member to load onto their car :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

If you shop around on fleabay, google and the like, you can get maps country by country. I got the 8.2 upgrade and UK 2012 maps as a download so had to make my own discs but they worked fine (I suspect as DickieG says, they were passed on.)

I had to get speed camera alerts direct from Citroen (apparently it is illeagal in France to warn of speed cameras but as they are in areas of hazard, aledgedly, the software indicates a hazard zone so you get a loud beep on approach and a soft beep later (amazing how you can bend the rules!))
It has a few cameras missing I've noticed and others are on the map but no beep but the nice thing is it knows which direction you are going so you get different beeps coming and going.

As DikieG says, the night, dim feature is great, the maps seem crisper than my old 2008 maps were.

My only sadness was loosing the analoge clock for compass and altitude. (Not over worried which way is North and definately not interested to know I'm 2064ft above sea level but I did like the analogue clock :-(

Wish I'd thought of loading up whilst driving.....I just washed the car instead (with engine running!)

Mike
UK Midlands currently with C5 (X7) Exclusive 2.0 HDI + 2 Pug 306s (Meridian and L) and a Pug 206L a/c
Previous C5 1 Exclusive 2.0 HDI, Pug 407LX HDI, 2No. Pug 406s LX HDI, Pug 309GLD, Pug 205GL, Pug 505GL, Pug 604SE, Pug 504ti
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a very nice looking C5 8-) Nice spec to!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

This is all very interesting guys. I can't see me ever needing any maps outside GB. My sister has a place in France, but surely the preloaded map would do for that. The E bay (second user) deal sounds OK.
I noticed you said about the analogue clock being replaced by the compass and altitude. Is this an the sat nav screen or on the heads up display behind the steering wheel. I already have those behind the wheel, and the altimeter on the nav screen. I have the digital clock on the top right of the nav screen, so do I already have the software update?
Rick.

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

qprdude wrote:so do I already have the software update?
IIRC press and hold down the menu button, then radio telephony followed by diagnosis and you'll find what software version your satnav has.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Seems like I have software version 7:11 B6
Rick.

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Have you found the way to have the drivers seat move back when you turn off the ignition then return to your preset position when you get back in and turn the ignition on? Should keep you amused for a little while :twisted: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH