AX GT Clutch,,gone,,then not gone,,,then gone,,

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX GT Clutch,,gone,,then not gone,,,then gone,,

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello!
here's me problem, It's going into the Garage on Tuesday, so I'm not asking for a sollution, Just asking if anyone else has hada simliar problem.
On motorway doing 70-80, car starts to slow.. but Revs stay high.. so i floor it and get loads of revs but no increase in speed, Its slowly slowing down so i pull over, turn off engine & re-start engine, put in gear, drive away..thinking WTF is going on!! anyway, i gets upto about 70 agian & same thing happens, i reve engine & get no increase in speed, Its like the thing has come out of gear (It hadnt). so i drift off down a slip road & come to a halt, ring Green Flag, get out of car sit up on banking (in rain)..& wait whilst i wait for tow truck, THREE police Cars come off the motorway & none of them stop to ask if I'm ok! B*stards..
Tow truck arrives, I tell the guy whats up, & he strts car up & drives it up ramp, he gets out & tells me he drove it up ramp in 2nd gear & if CLutch had gone that wouldnt be possible..
Anyway i got it dropped of at my house & its going into Garage on Tuesday..
My Question is.. Has my clutch gone or is it something more expensive!!? I thought if it went then it went?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you sure the cable is ok - could it have formed a 'whisker' in the inner cable which is catching in the outer sleeve and preventing the clutch engaging properly?
Also the clutch linings are made of something similar to brake linings and as we know brakes fade when they get hot. It could be that your clutch started to slip, your revving overheated the linings severely and made the whole thing more slippery. Let it cool and all seems better.
Jeremy
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Could also be a bit of oil dripping onto the clutch now and again causing it to spin intermittantly.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

[:)]Thanks f4 the info ppl. [:D]
I had heard that it could be, as i am putting a constant load onthe clutch at abvout 4k ervs on motorway & it is overheating & failing? sounds like it could be the cause to me, howver I am getting it checked out by agood friend of mine on tuesday so i will know for sure then. thanks for the ideas [:D]
Check out my friends site, he a Former BRISCA F1 World Champ & if you need & V8 building, he's the man!!
http://www.andy-turner.co.uk
He's also now becoming a \Citroen Expert.. not through choice i might add!![}:)]