Black Smoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bbrucez
My Cars:

Black Smoke

Post by bbrucez »

Every time I gun my wife's Xsara 1.9 TD the people in the car behind can't see a thing! She's more light-footed than me but surely this is excessive. I can repeat it several times if brave enough.
It recently passed the Smoke Test for the MOT.
Any suggestions?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try taking it out for a good long trip - caning it a bit in 4.th instead of 5.th on the motorway.
This will blow out a lot of carbon & deposits from the exhaust - and "wake up" the engine.
Also check the air filter - usually it's clogged by oil deposits from the engine fume hoses.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Or some injector cleaner? Miller's Dieselclean seems pretty good but I dare say many of the others will do the job - Redex, Wynns etc
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Millers is alright but its not particularly good for a quick clean up. STP Diesel Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner worked wonders on my Xantia when I first got it, chucked the whole bottle in on an almost empty tank and took it for a run. It ran noticeably smoother and less smoky afterwards.
I've seen it in Halfords at about £8 for a half litre bottle. I got 2x 1 litre bottles from Costco for about £7!
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Thanks guys.
I've tried gunning but none of the other suggestions.
Will report back next week.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Just a wonder, but, does the air intake has a round 4" paper type hose like the one on the BX? If so, check that the hose isnt collapsing, mine was on the BX and once changed it was as clean as ever (really!!!)
Paul