No more rear spheres...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kafkaian

No more rear spheres...

Post by kafkaian »

..in Birmingham Store"; say GSF
IG: "So when are getting some more in?"
GSF Brum: "Oh it'll be months before we get anymore in"
IG: "So what do people do if they're half way through a job and need to consider this?"
GSF Brum: "Go to Citroën"
SO I'm on the look out for a new rear sphere in trying to resolve my rear suspension problem. They've got S/Vs for GBP37 + VAT
Ian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Unless you've punched a hole in the sphere or stripped the thread, why do you need spheres to fix a non lifting problem???[:p]
If you need the speres checking, go to Pleiades as they can regas & test spheres a sight cheaper than a Cit dealer will sell you a new one and give you a (2 year?) warranty on the job.
Alan S
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Actually Alan. I haven't decided I need one. I'm just looking at possibilities after reading the various threads on the subject. Thought I'd get one in just in case seeing as I'd have to look at the area anyway. The trouble with Pleiades is that they're miles away from me, and the round trip would probably cost the price of a sphere or two from GSF (if they'xve got any in). Anyway, I have had enough of my Cit suspension for this day as it's really racking me off. Instead I'm going to work in a Suzuki 4 x 4 that a friend has kindly lent me but which in turn is quickly re-inspiring me to get back on with my suspension over the weekend. My next house comes with a pit and a bit more patience and an understanding that two 15 minute operations can put you out of action for an entire week. I was supposed to cheque David Timms for a towbar but I just haven't had the time. Boo hoo
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'm sure GSF's mail order dept will be able to supply spheres next day.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And deliver them, too! I reckon that the no lift problem is linked(!) to the rear height corrector, Ian but being a BX man, I don't know how the anti sink sphere is connected but theere may be a valve in there that may be stuck. The car has raised itself on the new spheres, so bleed it at the regulator and try again. If the system has not been exercised much in the past, a good squirt of WD40 on the HC may free up the linkage.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Agree with advice already given but once had an odd experience with a bx after HC work:
although it is a well known fact that the weight of the car has to be on its wheels, after re-assembling the rear end of my old bx I could not get it to rise. No amount of adjustment of the HC made any difference and the car was stuck with its rear on the ground and the front at normal height. I tried applying extra weight to the rear [sitting in the boot] to no avail. Needing to get clearance to once again inspect the HC I started to jack the rear of the car up. The car immediately rose of its own accord to normal height and the problem did not return. Not suggesting that this will be the same with your car but you never know.
Please observe safety precautions as a Cit with HC problems is an extremely dangerous environment.
Cheers
mark
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I recall when I had the spheres changed on mine the bloke let it run for a minute, the front came up but the back didn't, he just gave it a couple of pumps on a big trolley jack and it shot straight up and leveled out correctly. Never had a problem since.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

On reflection, I had my 16V BX decide to fall asleep in the H/C after I had been doing a bit of maintenance. I gave it a shake & up it went. I went looking for the reason & in that case it was caused due to the adjustment rods that operate front to rear (interconnecting front & rear is possibly a better description) being about 2mm out of adjustment and not allowing contact to be made on one of the connections which basically told the suspension it was down at the bottom & was ready to rise.
It's a while back since that happened hence I'm a bit vague, but that was the principle of what had gone amiss. If jacking makes it work, then whatever triggers the rear H/C somewhere along the line could be out of adjustment.
Alan S
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Thanks fellas
I'll give it a go. I'm not anti-gsf by the way. I am grateful to them for keeping prices realistic and offering a pleasant service. My announcment was for the benefit of Brummie's intending to do some work on rear spheres over the next few months.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Oh dear, I'm a bit confused now. I'll start at the beginning: Parents who live in Spain have had car in small local non-Citroen garage to have cam belt replaced. All done and working now after cam teeth came off a part of belt and a valve hit piston. Got car back only to find the rear end was bumpy as hell on the road, took car to garage who said rear spheres need replacing - gone flat.
Seems strange they suddenly went flat while in the garage, ride was fine before taking it in and rear spheres were replaced less than 2 years ago. I told them to do the Citraerobics - no difference, also told them to check for LHM leaks anywhere - none seen. Got my father to push down on all 4 corners of the car. Front squashes down nicely and easily, rear end (with his full weight sitting on boot ledge) sinks only half an inch in normal ride height with engine running and no pushing down will make it springy like the front, it just goes down a small amount and is hard. This does look like rear spheres gone flat mysteriously, doesn't it? Car is otherwise fine, it raises front and rear correctly in all heights and the normal ride height looks to be exactly where it should be and not too high or low at either end, just as it's always been. Sounds dodgy to me with this garage, but anyway, GSF seem to sell two types of rear spheres, one stating its genuine Citroen. From this post, does it mean I can't order two online to take over to Spain and fit when I next visit there? Their contact form isn't working...
Thanks,
James
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes undoubtably the rear spheres are flat and the car shouldn't be driven in that state as it is unstable, and will do itself serious damage.
Have a look at the on-line shop for GSF - you will get the necessary information there on sending them to you or even straight to Spain I expect.
Jeremy
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for that Jeremy, incidentally, do you know which spheres I should go for? There are three types listed for what I think is the right choice for this car (it's a Xantia 1.8i 1996), one is 'rear sphere recon' - but does this mean sending in old spheres first? Second just says 'rear sphere' and third says 'Gen rear sphere' which I took as meaning geniune Citroen replacement part.
Also, the choice I think I have right says for cars: 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9D, I assume the 1.8 does refer to the petrol 1.8i...
Thanks again,
James