2.1td Xantia estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

2.1td Xantia estate

Post by bernie »

I'm thinking of buying the above car, 1998 R facelift exclusive.
Has anyone got any experience of these and more importantly the engine?
What mpg?
TIA
Bernie
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Bernie
Not the estate, but I changed my 1.7TD BX for a 2.1TD Exclusive hatch in March.
Done 17k miles since averaged 49mpg against 48 in the BX and better than our 1.9TD Xantia. This is mostly motorway and A road work and I suspect that driven hard around town it would not do anywhere near as well.
General impressions engine wise. Feels considerably more powerful than the 1.9. I found the 1.9 disappointing in comparison to the BX, the 2.1 is more on a par with the BX. The engine seems alittle more "agricultural" and sounds more like a diesel especially on start-up but once on the move this is really of little significance.
No real problems so far, one or two bits are more expensive than for other Xantias but not that much.
The insurance, over the cost of the 1.9, was a bit of a shock at 30% more but then again it did cost 50% more when new.
Regards
Rory
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Bought my 2.1TD about 3 months ago and generally very happy with it. Engine is extremely good and with most of my mileage being A and B roads it averages between 43-44 mpg. As Rory points out the engine is fairly noisy when cold, but once warm is very subdued and once on the move you'd hardly know it was a diesel (quite impressive for an old engine/car).
Don't know if you know much about the engine but to me its a bit of an oddity in that it's obviously an IDI (indirect injection) lump but it uses a 12 valve head (with hydraulic tappets) and electronically controlled injection by way of Lucas Epic.
One other thing to bear in mind is that these engines are difficult to work on in situ (can't remove cylinder head or turbo), so make sure its got history and not mega-mileage.
Otherwise enjoy as its a great car with this engine in!!
Mark