Lets imagine that you have lost your one and only key.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Lets imagine that you have lost your one and only key.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Hello

Its unlikely I know, but just imagine your one and only key has chosen to hide itself in some unknown location.

The doors of the car are open though, and you need to start the engine.

By a stroke of good fortune, in the shed you find an ignition barrel, and in the deep recesses of your welsh dresser you find two keys which fit, and operate the switch.

Is the motor going to start with a simple exchange?

Any contributions gratefully received

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lets imagine that you have lost your one and only key...

Post by CitroJim »

Depends on what car it is Neil. A MK1 Xantia for instance with keypad immobiliser will but a MK2 with the RFID immobiliser won't unless you recode the key (easy with a Lexia) to the transponder...

The same, I would imagine, holds true for most of the PSA range by and large. Other makes I really don't know.

So, what's happened and what car is it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim

Its a M reg 1.9TD and it doesn't have an keypad immobiliser. The plips associated with the keys are batteryless, and programmed into my old L-reg 1.9TD from which the keys and the barrel came.

As for what happened..............the key has gone walkabout and so far hasn't decided to turn up!

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'll be OK then Neil, just swap locks and job's a good 'un :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

You do need the key to remove the barrel from the steering column though...................technicaly.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Dean

Yes I had to resort to Haynes to get the ignition barrel out of the steering column when my proddings with the screwdriver didn't lever the barrel out.

"Insert the ignition key and turn it to the position between "A" and "S".

I won't have this option to get the "keyless" barrel out of the car. Is there a workaround this technical difficulty?

Neil

PS The "new"barrel and keys do the job. Connected the black brown and grey connectors without removing the keyless barrel just to test if it worked. The the motor fired up. Jim you were spot on. Thought I would take it along the street with the new ignition barrel dangling but before I had moved a foot I realised that the steering lock was on, and would need the original key to release it. How to get the keyless one out now is the next stage of problem solving-all contributions welcome :)
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Jul 2012, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

One of these should do it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
NewcastleFalcon

Dean

Not sure if its my browser but the image has a red cross in the corner on my computer so I am not sure what your picture shows. Its not a large screwdriver and a club hammer is it? Edit......it has appeared now a couple of blows with that should shift most things :)

regards

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Jul 2012, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Pretty much yes, sorry but from memory i think the locating pin is hardened and in a tough place to drill, you could take the column off to have a good go at it but i think the precision poker and a large universal adjuster are going to be your friend here unless someone more enlightened can assist you.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

about 10 years back the very end if my ignition key snapped off in the barrel, the aa/rac type man managed to split the barrell and get it going, but the only way we managed to get it out was by drilling it down the key hole, obviously no good if you want to use it again!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

On the theme of the large hammer, International Rescue would probably send this to drill out the ignition barrel.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Working on the assumption of original locks, I'd have a new key cut by a suitable locksmith (like Rockley). Cheap enough, no drilling or bodging needed.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pin might be hardened, but the column isn't - it's fairly easy to cut a slot in the column and then bend up the tab to allow you withdraw the barrel (been there, done that on a BX). You can just bend it back afterwards - after all, who is going to worry about stealing the barrell from an M-reg Xantia...???
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

The key has turned up!

Found the key today lying nicely on top of a plastic storage box full of old photo's :oops:
I suspect it made its way there under its own steam.
No need for precision metal surgery on the steering column to get the barrel out this time, but thanks all for your help.

Still I have changed it for the barrel for which I have 2-keys. I was wondering why the other one with the found key was being so stubborn in coming out even though the retaining metal "button" was pressed well up out of the way.
Yes the retaining bolt with the ridiculously small head (used a little pair of mole grips I don't posess spanners smaller than 8mm) was still in place.

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I've done it before, but is there a thread which has the instructions for "reprogramming" the plip?
I have two plips which need reprogramming. They are from a 1.9td L-Reg Mk1 and IR I presume.

Thanks Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey