C5 2.2 HDI Fuel Consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hswift
My Cars:

C5 2.2 HDI Fuel Consumption

Post by hswift »

Am considering replacing my Xantia estate with a C5 2.2 HDI estate. What sort of fuel consumption would the HDI give? By way of comparison, I get about 36mpg out of my 1.8i 16v engine on a daily roud trip of 80 miles taking in motorway, a crawl through a built-up area, a climb up a mountain road and 50mph limit A-road. I'm not too heavy on the right foot.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Mine returns about 38-40MPG in the main according to the onboard computer, with the AC running in the very hot weather and a heavy foot saw it drop to 35MPG. I'm not doing a lot of motorway in it at the moment though.
My Dad's had it this last week and put 700 miles on it, I reset the computer before he took it and its come back showing 46MPG average, but 90% of those miles were on the motorway.
I'm terribly heavy footed - I cant resist spinning the turbo up to pin me back in the seat I'm afraid. My main observation is that the Diesels I've had take a bigger hit on the economy when you cane them than a petrol. Whether thats a trait of a diesel engine, or simply because the derv's have all been turbocharged I'm not sure.
From talkinh to other owners realistically the consumption on the 2.2 is around 40MPG, whereas the 2.0 110BHP version will return about 48-50MPG.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

My 2.0 HDI returns about 45mpg driven mostly in urban traffic and occasional longer journeys and higher speed motorway work.
Ben
hswift
My Cars:

Post by hswift »

Well I bought the 2.2 HDI estate and it's just done 47mpg over 600 miles, more than 430 of which were motorway. That'll do for me!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I havent done more than 60 miles on any motorway trip, most are more like 40 miles. Would love to do more distance in the C5, it's what it is made for!
Ben
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The diesel engine fuel consumption will be much more sensitive to load due to its inherent efficiency. Modern highly tuned fuel injection petrol systems are much better than their predecessors but are still relatively inefficient.
The discrepancy is due to the actual work done. Booting the car up mountains takes a lot of power and obviously uses more fuel. the principal benefits are under light load where the the difference in efficiencies shows up. For example running round town my TD BX Estate will do about 40 MPG, the similar sized Renault 21 would do about 25 and even my wifes Mini (998cc) used more. Get the Renault on a long run and 40's were possible and the difference was not much.
So run a diesel on light loads and its really economical, cane it and its a bit better than petrol but not that much.
It certainly seems that the HDi engines produce real benefits, some due no doubt to improved breathing and some due to the pulsed injection on the 110's (It seems the injectors have 6 nozzles, fired in 33 pulses of 2, allowing a flame to be established and further fuel added to it.)
jeremy