MPG Running on Veg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

MPG Running on Veg

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hi All,

I'm just interested to know what sort of mpg the veg runners are getting. I'm running RUNN on 100% KTC veg at the moment. I put 60 litres in - so there couldn't have been much room left in the tank - last weekend, and have just rolled over onto 615 miles. I'm not really sure I dare go much further, but I think that's pretty impressive for £54. I have been driving normally. Haven't broken any speed limits, and that includes a trip in traffic from Reading to Streatham and back. Presuming I've used all 60 litres and there's not a lot left in the tank, that's somewhere around 46mpg..

What are the others getting?

Mike
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: MPG Running on Veg

Post by Xaccers »

Last time I checked, did a trip to whitby and back with 4 adults and a dog in the car, and a roof box.
Managed 42mpg
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Non turbo dispatch only getting 40mpg. Still pleased with those figures though.
No difference between KTC and diesel in mpg but the engine does seem to run smoother on the KTC.
And it smells like someones having a barbeque each time I pull up at traffic lights :lol: .
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

How big is the tank in a Xantia S1 Saloon? Anyone? I've now done an indicated 635 miles..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Brimming it is about 75L if memory serves.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

S1 is about 75 litres .
I am getting about 42 mpg/9 mpl using straight veg oil , if i ever get good filtered oil , i get the same mpg .
And also get the same with diesil .Usually there is only me in the car .
mine smells like a doughnut factory .

Failed mot on emmisions last year with 80% veg oil in .
This year i fitted new fuel filter , removed air filter and ran on 100% diesel and no probs with mot .

mine is a 1.9td .
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Mine is 65 litres? It even says on the fuel guage!

Redzzed - why do you remove the air filter for the MOT? Just running diesel is enough for the MOT normally. I always run a diesel/waste oil blend too, too much oil and the car hunts at first start. I've been putting about £25 of diesel in with the tank of waste (free!) oil at this time of year.
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

For what it's worth, my experiences on veg are these:

Better mpg on used (well dried and polished - 0.5u) than unused. Better emissions by on average a third using veg oil as fuel - biodiesel users often report emissions less than half than when on mineral oil (forecourt diesel).

I generally add 10% 'diesel' to my used oil, it improves the mpg no end compared with using 100% veg. I've found over many tens of thousands of miles with both PSA and VW/Audis that mpg figures are best at around 50/50 diesel/veg oil, dropping by about 10% as you go to each extreme, although 20/80 diesel/veg shows minimal loss. Adding petrol always invreases mpg if added beyond 1% (TDi/HDi engine's mpg improves with ~1% petrol unless driving flat out or nearly so). Acetone at 0.15% improves response and efficiency too.
r
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."