Xantia hydraulic return pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Georges
My Cars:

Xantia hydraulic return pipes

Post by Georges »

My HDI Xantia is still in good form after 250,000km, but the rubber pipes that feed back to the hydraulic fluid reservoir are starting to fail. Can anyone tell me how to replace it - I've heard it's a really difficult job?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia hydraulic return pipes

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, not easy at all as they're specially moulded and tailored to the job. I've done some repairs by splicing in new pipe lengths and also rescuing better condition assemblies from scrappers and splicing those in using custom-made ferrules.

The whole assembly looks like a bizarrely deformed octopus if you remove it fully from the car :lol:

George, which ones are specifically causing you concern? Some pictures may help...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Georges
My Cars:

Post by Georges »

Thanks Jim. It's really a case of general overall decay. It's been variously patched up over the past year or so, so really I want to fit a new one, as every time one bit gets fixed another starts to give way. I've been told you need to take the engine out, but that seems a bit extreme!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Georges wrote: I've been told you need to take the engine out, but that seems a bit extreme!!
Well, actually George.... I think that may be right. It, along with the heater matrix, were the first components fitted and the rest of the car was built around it. Certainly popping the engine and transmission out will help but I'd have thought, perhaps except in the case of a V6, you could just about manage without...

It will be worth searching Service.Citroen to ensure they're all still available and at what cost...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Georges
My Cars:

Post by Georges »

Thanks Jim. I'll have a search. I know the one for RHD cars is no longer available, but mine's LHD, so there may be a chance. There are certainly plenty of them still on the roads over here!