? about Xantia petrol fuel economy, please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevlights
My Cars:

? about Xantia petrol fuel economy, please

Post by kevlights »

My 1993 auto Xantia petrol fuel economy is starting to worry me
less than 400 klm per tank 65ltr arond town
and around 450 klm town and highway

the work we have had done on it recently

new cam belt and water pump

new crank sensor

new idle stepper motor.

had a non starting non idling problem the sparky resolved with the crank senor and idle stepper,

i have no idea what the usual fuel economy is for this car but tank is 65 ltr and getting less than 400 klm

We have done several trips to ChCh and return and around town and its never more than 450 klm brim to brim

is it possible we put the timing slightly out when we did the cam belt ?

or is the fuel economy all it gets ? help thank regards Kev

it would help if i knew what other petrol owners are getting economy wise , with their Xantia thanks
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

For that sort of driving, another 200-250km/tank, 2 litre 16 valve auto 1999.

I'd suggest a basic health check - look at the spark strength, manifold vacuum, oxygen sensor voltages.
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: ? about Xantia petrol fuel economy, please

Post by andmcit »

I'd suspect a water temperature reading sender and would suggest your getting the emissions readings
as they'd help illustrate what the engine ECU is doing. My father's 1994 2.0 VSX auto was behaving badly
and drinking fuel when I'd borrowed it a while and checked it over for it's MOT which it comprehensively
failed the emissions test on. The cat and lambda sensor were suspect and bought in to fit but when I
actually got under the car on ramps to look everything over first I noticed one of the several engine
temperature sensors on the end of the cylinder head had it's multi plug slightly unseated so it wasn't
making full electrical connection - likely caused by disturbing other things in the engine bay carrying
out other work (IIRC a reservoir removal for LHM change and filters clean up). With the car running,
when I clipped the plug securely tight the ECU must've got the correct temperature signal and dropped
the engine idle right down and the car reverted back once more the lean levels of emissions and
economy as it had before!

That's not to say I wouldn't suspect the cat/lambda as well! The mpg on the VSX is in the mid 30's for
varied mostly open road driving with little motorway.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën