C5 REAR RADIUS ARMS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

C5 REAR RADIUS ARMS

Post by acrowot »

Just bought a 2001 C5 110 SX and begining to regret it only drove it home from dealer 30 miles done a few jobs on it took it for a ride and there is now a loud cracking /benging noise from the rear offside wheel area, doing the citarobics will sometimes reproduce it sometimes not, pressing down on towball with foot will also sometimes reproduce it, this is a loud noise like a crack. Does this sound like radius arm bearings I have put the suspension in low jacked up car and pulled the wheel about looking for play but cannot find any. To replace the bearings is it necessaty to depresurise or will putting it in low be OK, is the job similar to the Xantia and any more difficult. What else could cause this sort of noise, are the suspension units a likely cause. Just to add non of the work was done at the back of the car but the front offside wheel was jacked up and removed.
TIA
C5 HDI 110 SX 122000 ESTATE
C5 HDI 2.2 2003 EXCLUSIVE ESTATE 151000 MILES
citronut
My Cars:

Re: C5 REAR RADIUS ARMS

Post by citronut »

yep certainly sounds like arm bearings to me,

and you should be able to do them in service low but i still depressurise the suspension anyway,

also yes it it mostly the same as the XANT,

be repaired with new caliper fixing bolts before you start, as you might want to clean the corrosion from between the caliper and arm whilst your in there,

although if you dont have the time just leave the caliper atatched to the arm
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Thanks for your reply citronut, I have a Lexia3 and have seen under "suspension" depressurise, how do I use this and more to the point how do I restore it when finished, do I have to disconnect the battery to prevent it re pressurising. The rear caliphers look ok, I have done previous cits with this problem so know what to look for, so it is ok to leave them on is it. Any idea where I might obtain these bearing kits from.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is a link to a thread regarding C5 rear arm bearings which you might find useful,

there was a different thread somewhere but cant find at the mo

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=35753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

When the second side needed done on our estate I bought this kit from AEP. http://www.aepdirect.com/rear-arm-beari ... ory_id=754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It arrived extremely quickly as I recall. Only the bearings and seals can be used from that kit (even the stepped spacer is different), the rest has to be salvaged or bought from Citroen. There's a fair chance you'll get away with only changing the bearings and seals, though you don't know for sure until you strip it down.

Svesey's post half way down this page is useful http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=27246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here we are thanks to Steve ( myglaren ) for rummaging in the forum archive/dusty corners

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 04#p283404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you scroll down throught the thread in the link you will find price's and part No.'s for all the parts you will/might require,
and were to source them
Regards, malcolm.

acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Thanks for all your help, I have chickened out on this on now at 74 with a couple of metal joints I have decided to have it done, booked in on Friday £150.