C5 HDi auto - keys, and gearchange points

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LD

C5 HDi auto - keys, and gearchange points

Post by LD »

I've just bought a 2001 C5 . . . HDi 2.2 automatic Exclusive, 110,000 miles; and have a few queries:

1. I was only given one key – should I have two?

2. If I have to buy a spare, are they expensive?

3. The handbook mentions a “card” which contains vital data – at the moment I can't find that either, but I'm still looking through the various storage areas. Could someone explain what it's needed for?

4. The engine is generally smooth and quiet for a diesel of that age and mileage, but seems occasionally to labour. 50 seems to be a sensitive speed – if set to automatic that's when it would change up to 4th, but it sounds happier in 3rd. I'm wondering . . . the gearchange points would be set for a new engine. Now that this one's perhaps half way through its life, could it have lost a bit of torque at low revs? If it's labouring, as I think it might be, it's easy enough to over-ride manually then change back up at slightly higher revs.

My previous Citroen was/is a Xantia TD SX auto, with an XU engine I think. As this C5 is so much quieter in general, maybe I'm being a bit over-anxious about my new pride and joy!

Thanks in advance.
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: C5 HDi auto - keys, and gearchange points

Post by mooseshaver »

1) Yes you should have two keys exactly the same (i.e. they both have the same functions, one is not a valet key)

3) the card is used when ordering more keys but a dealer should be able to do it without, but I've not tested this.
It usually has a scratch off panel, and is kind of grey credit card sized. Its usually in with the manuals in a folder.

4)I had a manual version and I think I drove it in 5th at 40 mph and that was fine but I would not let it go slower often as that would labour it.
My mechanical knowledge extends to finding a garage to take it to, so I can't really suggest much except maybe some fuel treatment life the BG series and see whats its like after 1.5 tanks of fuel.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
LD

Post by LD »

Thanks mooseshaver for putting me right about keys and card – I'll chase the garage about that on Monday.

My mechanical knowledge is at about the same level as yours – it will be interesting to see what other comments come in regarding the gearchange speeds. Your C5 Exclusive estate seems to be a more recent version of my hatchback; even at 11 years old mine's pretty awesome :-)
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Yeah, the brief time I have driven my current car I've loved it. But its stuck at a Citroen Dealer, who's Citroen Master Technician cannot find the cause of the faults with it.
Its been there 10 days so far :(

When I had my 02 2.2 sx, I used to almost lust after the exclusive. You have the wood trim don't you? Does it have leather?

The most annoying thing I found on my 02 C5 was that no one around my area could balance the wheels correctly, so between 60-70 mph the steering wheel and even the seats would wobble.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
LD

Post by LD »

Mine's officially an SE, which I think stands for special equipment; so yes, wood trim and leather seats. It was a better driving position I most wanted, and I certainly have that, with electric seat adjustment of everything possible, and masses of adjustment for the steering wheel. I'm not sure whether its quietness is due to a more modern engine than the Xantia, or to the redesigned suspension, or to better soundproofing – maybe a combination of all three. That's certainly a bonus.

After four days my biggest reservation is that it has the worst visibility of any car I've driven. At 5ft 8 I'm not specially short, but with the seat set as high as possible I still can't see the bonnet! I'm experimenting with a couple of cushions, as I've already put a small dent in the front while parking this morning in town. When pulling out, I need to look round very carefully to make sure there's nothing in the blind spot, though fortunately the rear view mirrors are excellent.

Still, nothing's perfect in this life! What's wrong with yours? I'm glad I have the old Peugeot 504, not only because it's a superb car, but because it's mechanically straightforward. If the C5's electronics go wrong (those early ones have a poor record for reliability) the 504 should keep me mobile :-)
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

On the day I bought mine, after driving home from Dorset, I got to Penrith and the directional headlights stopped working, then power steering, and esp.
After clearing the faults it was still the same. So took it to a garage, who then took it to a main dealer, and its been there now for 10 days. And no resolution in sight.
When I had a look with the alexia, all the faults appeared to be that the various components could not read the engine speed, and there was fault about engine speed signal.
So far they have tried a new fuse box (which contains one of the computers) but its not changed anything.

I've not had the visibility problem yo have, I have to lower my seat so I can see traffic lights. But my new one had front parking sensors which are great for those tired days when you misjudge things.
Mine does not have wood trim, its kind of like piano black plastic. Looks nice.
It has leather electric seats, I like those, much better than velour or woven stuff. But far more difficult to fit a isofix child seat as it seems tighter around the anchor points.

I love the little things it has, like headlamp washers and puddle lights. I also have the satnav harddisk. Shame I can't read the top of the screen with the trim in the way.
Cannot wait to get it back.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Hello LD how is the car going?
Did you get keys and card sorted?
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.