Picasso electrics gone haywire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

Picasso electrics gone haywire

Post by jcdel »

Just changed 1 washer on 1 injector.All went well until I turned the key.Will not start!Battery light stays on after ignition turned off.Economy Mode active on the display and all ignition lights go off after a short period but battery light stays on.I'm sure that everything has gone back as it should.Very little to get wrong really.Have primed and slackened injector unions to purge but still wont start.Changed the washer because of blow by. Desperate. Also just noticed that wipers etc don't work.Strange
Just been back out to it and battery light still on/non start and wipers etc don't work.Oh and the dreaded eco mode display.
Last edited by jcdel on 06 Jul 2012, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.
deuchebleu
My Cars: xxxxxxxxxx

Re: Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive.Injector Washers

Post by deuchebleu »

Have you primed it using the plastic bulb primer under the engine top cover?
You need to keep squeezing this for about 2 minutes, with all pipes connected, until it starts to get hard to squeeze.
Then try to start it.
The battery light stays on with the ignition off to indicate it has gone into economy mode. It's normal.
These engines can be a bu33er to get started after breaking into the fuel lines.

John
jcdel
My Cars:

Re: Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive.Injector Washers

Post by jcdel »

Thanks for that John.Apparently if the battery falls below 14.6 volts ????? it will go crazy as mine has done and I need to boost or ideally fully re-charge.My old zanty wouldn't have done this to me.Now I have no wipers/no start basically very little other than an engine that spins fine but no start.I am assured that this is to stop me breaking down with a flat battery.????All very confusing but a challenge just the same.On reflection,I probably didn't prime enough-vehicle had been stood a few days-and I probably cranked too much on a discharged battery.Heres hoping.I'll keep posted.
deuchebleu

Re: Picasso electrics gone haywire

Post by deuchebleu »

Ignore the fact that it has gone into economy mode; it won't prevent it from starting, just disables non essential functions.
The fuel system on the Picasso 1.6HDi hasn't got an in-tank lift pump, it relies on the HP pump sucking up the fuel by vacuum in much the same way as
mechanical injection diesels used to do. Seeing as you have broken into the fuel system, all the fuel will have run back to the tank.
You need to prime it first to get it started. If you can't do this then you most likely have an air leak into the fuel system probably at the bits you have disconnected. Strictly speaking you are supposed to renew the hp pipes once disconnected but once you get it running and confirm no diesel is leaking at the joints then they should be OK.
John
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

Fuel supply was the problem.I am now informed by the local Citroen dealership that by draining the battery, I have upset the BSI and this needs to be reset by them.No price quotes but recovery to their workshop alone is scary.Anybody know any DIY cures for this.All I have done is try to start it after fitting an injector washer.
deuchebleu

Post by deuchebleu »

Oh dear. Have a look at this post from the CitroenPicasso forum. It describes the procedure for a soft reboot, i.e. how to safely disconnect and reconnect the battery to prevent BSI corruption. Unfortunately it doesn't say what to do if the BSI is corrupted. It's worth a try though.
http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picass ... upt+%2Bbsi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

That is a good link and well worth a look.Have managed to reset BSI but still have a non starter.Will fire on the dreaded easy start but smoky although I expected it.No doubt I will cure it eventually but always in the back of my mind now is this dreaded BSI.Have just got the Cit disc via emanuals and even inputting vin number the manufacturer gives battery removal as a normal procedure.All very confusing.Have just ordered the Lexia off ebay to see if that will show anything.The snap on "ethos" scanner showed a couple of error codes.One we believe to be manufacturer BSI code.The other we are checking the numbers via BBA.Will keep you posted.