New C5 Tourer Exclusive - what to look for?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

New C5 Tourer Exclusive - what to look for?

Post by NAM »

I am looking at buying a C5 Tourer 2L HDI Exclusive - not brand new but only a couple of years old. Does anyone have any top tips for me to check through when I go to view?

The car is packed with extras - lots of electics but has the true Citroen suspension which is one of the reasons I'm interested. I guess all electrically opertated features need to be checked but is there anything else which I should check? I understand that cam belts are changed at 140k miles (which seems high - my Xantia Estate had it changed every 70K miles (but I did it earlier).

Look forward to your comments.

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: New C5 Tourer Exclusive - what to look for?

Post by DickieG »

I'm interested to hear what comes up on this thread as I'm considering buying one of these ATM, either 2.0 manual or a 3.0 auto.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
markflip

Post by markflip »

Just bought a 2.0 HDi 138 tourer on a 58 plate myself - very pleased with it so far. There's not a huge lot on here for the C5 X7's yet (got to be a good thing?) but the things I've found are potential problems with electric windows and aircon, so check the aircon works - work it hard on any test drive and check that the pipes to/from the compressor (easily visible with bonnet up, left hand side/front of engine bay) aren't leaking [like mine were!]. Give the windows a few up/down cycles to make sure they are running smoothly.

Happy hunting!
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Here's my fix list (so far !) for a saloon ....

Dual mass fly wheel
Tyre pressure monitors (valve snapped off)
Window regulator
Air con radiator
Front suspension strut
Wiper motor
Fuel flap switch

Thankfully all above done under warranty by a helpful dealer ! :)

Maybe the bulbs that I'm getting are duff I seem to be putting in dip bulbs every few weeks too !.
Think it could be because of the auto lights on and off when driving.

Brian
09 C5 Exclusive Saloon
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Hi Brian - quite a list. Glad that you are getting things sorted under warranty. I took a Tourer for test drive and was surprised/alarmed when the STOP light came on with a warning that the rear RH tyre had a puncture. It clearly hadn't but the explanation was that the pressure was low in the tyre. Have you had similar? Is this something to worry about?

It really is a great car -and nice to drive. I noticed that the previous owner had been changing bulbs regularly as well and that there had been some work on airconditioning but that was about it.

I did check the windows and they were fine but thanks for the tip Mark.

Unfortunately we couldn't agree on a price so I'll keep looking!
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

I remember reading German (I think it was) Auto Bild not too long ago with TUV/Dekra Citroen C5 build quality report.

Unfortunately the Mark 3 C5 got very poor results (something like 125th place out of 180), much lower than Mark 2.

The things that they mentioned were front suspension struts, steering racks, window regulators and heating/cooling.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I bought a 59 plate 2.0L HDI at the start of the year. The clutch showed the usual signs of slipping whilst driving it home so I took it back to the dealers and a new clutch + DMF was fitted under warranty. Apparently, the story I was given was that Citroen replace them without too much fuss providing certain conditions have been met - which I assume to be previous dealer servicing and within mileage limits. It's a bit of an art to check for the clutch slipping in the early stages, but try accelerating reasonably hard (but certainly nowhere near flat out) from 1800rpm through to 2200rpm in a high gear. It first showed signs of slipping whilst engaging cruise control on the motorway at about 60-65mph and allowing the car to accelerate to.... erm.... only just above 70mph.....
I don't know if they solved the clutch problem with the 160 BHP C5

I've also got a holed aircon condensor from when the Highways recently pebble dashed the local roads - makes a change from a chipped windscreen, and not Citroen's fault either :-D

The only other problem I've got is the drivers seat collapsing down - see my other thread for that.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Valve just snapped off when pumping the wheels after having to move them around when the tyre fitter put them back on in the wrong place :grr: .
I wouldn't mind but at the time I'd asked had he put them back on in the same places as they came off !
It's possible to buy just the valve stem and so not have to replace the whole unit. ( have spare one just in case it happens again now that its out of warranty :lol: )

Also read somewhere that clutch slippage can be due to a faulty crankshaft oil seal allowing oil contamination of the clutch plate.

Brian
09 C5 Exclusive Saloon
Previous Citroens
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

yeap, had the pressure sensors corrode, the steering rack go, the air con compressor go, the electric windows go, the clutch is also slipping and car is out of warranty. all in all I'm not very impressed with my 1st Citroen....
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Blimey hdi man - that is quite a list. How old is your car and how many miles have you covered? My Xantia Estate has now covered 171K miles but drives really well and I've only recently been spending money as parts wear.

Are the pressure sensors easy to replace?
citwrong

Post by citwrong »

@hdi_man I had exactly the same, steering rack and pipes £2800, both front window regulators £700, Air con compressor £1000. That's just the stuff I've paid for out of warranty. I had loads of work under warranty like radio, pressure sensors etc

basically, don't buy citroen.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

2010 model, had it since November.
No steering, window or aircon problems.
It's had a new oil pump under a recall.
When I bought it rear seat back had collapsed, fixed under warranty.
There was an air intake I had to pay for as it had been damaged and badly repaired by previous owner.
Tyre valve was leaking after tyres changed took elsewhere and paid £2 to have it resealed.
No real problems.
Have one odd niggle that have not looked into where if it start the car again after stopping for a short while the accelerator sometimes does not work on the first press but taking foot off and on and it's fine again.

I am rather fond mine. I've had problems with all my citroens. But no real ones on this one.
It's an auto 2.0 163. Prefers bp ultimate to anything else.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Just about a year of C5 X7 ownership. Purchased with 25,00 miles on the clock, now near 34,000.
Aircon was regassed just after purchased (nothing unusual in a 4 year old car of any make).
Two tyre pressure sensors showed tyre deflated. During service, the garage contacted Citroen, who agreed to replace all four sensors F.O.C. There was no valve corrosion evident as was common on earlier C5's so the fault must havebeen internal.
Apart from that, nothing! The car has (almost)all the extras you would expect from the Exclusive, including sat nav,full electric leather memory massage seats, and is a supremely comfortable motorway cruiser. and a very able mover on the windy bits with sport mode selected. Mine is the 173 BHP 2,2 HDI, so if it's economy you need, the 2.0L is a better option.
I think like most forums, the threads are mostly from owners who have had some problems, but in the big scheme of things, the car is as good as any big modern one.
As far as the "build quality" review by the germans..... well they would say that wouldn't they. I bet the top cars were Mercedes, BMW and Volkswagen! I think the build quality of my car is excellent. Close panel gaps, no squeaks and everything works as it should so far. What more can I say. I can't be the only customer with no complaints.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.