Spicy smell from Heater and Air Con.!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Spicy smell from Heater and Air Con.!!!

Post by Jonesy »

Could anyone advise as to what exactly the strange 'spicy smell' is coming from the heater on my '98 2.1 TD Xantia. It seems to do it with either the heater on or the climate control.
Is it possible to get rid of this strange smell and is it just a case of having the air con serviced?
I have seen previous threads about this but not sure there was anything definitive.
Any thoughts much appreciated as winter looms!
By the way I have changed the pollen filter within the last thousand miles.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

first check that the pollen filter is clean.there are aeresol sprays availible that clean out & kill bacteria in the A/C systems (i know FORTE make them).you just shut all the windows &remove the pollen filter, set the air to re-circulate & put the fans on full,place the can in the footwell & release it (the nozzle stays locked open).it will spray for a few minutes,it gets right through the whole system. had a quick look & couldnt find it (in english),i think this is dutch http://www.forte-nwe.com/NL/producten/a ... ioner.html
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Arent you supposed to "Re-Charge" the Air-con unit every now & then?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Re-chargeing is only necessary when some of the refrigerant had leaked out (which can be by osmosis over the years) the refrigerant won't produce a smell as its long gone by the time your nose gets anywhere near (even if it has a smell)
Air con uses a condenser to dry the air and naturally this collects the water vapour which normally falls onto the road or if you are unlucky onto your feet. Eventually this condenser and other parts collect muck, and can form an ideal home for bacteria. If you get the unfriendly type they smell.
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its not unknown for children to bung curry powder or similar down air intake vents.............where I live, anyway.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes my stepfather's company car suffered from the curry powder trick, the car still stank of curry when the company sold it five years later!