xenon headlight swap for standard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

xenon headlight swap for standard

Post by C5Alan »

Ok I have a headlight that has a sort of laquer covering to it so sourced replacement ages ago finally got round to fitting it today (should have been in bed with the flu but couldnt take doing nothing any longer) after removing the old one I noticed the large silver box on the bottom of the new one making it xenon? Anyway it fitted fine and all the bulbs work but there is also a second power socket which does nothing? Now the thing is am I going to have problems with wiring? and if not I will be sourcing another one for passenger side as it looks cool or a new one for drivers if there is a problem

cheers guys
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
waynedance

Re: xenon headlight swap for standard

Post by waynedance »

Why remove the much better xexons are you mad. 8-[
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

No its the other way round originaly standard lights to upgrade to xenon
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

You will need headlamp washers for the mot , I believe.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Don't all the exclusives have xenon's as standard ??
If it has never had xenons before you will need to reprogram the suspension ECU with Lexia so that the auto leveling funtion i the lamp unit works. Also be aware that the Xenon units dont have front foglamps built ito the headlamps either if I remember right.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Ah I did not read your post correctly, as said above no front fogs so the light switch (comms 2000 is it) would be different as well. Looks a good challenge but one well worth it as xexons are much better.

I have seen some exclusives without xexons.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

waynedance wrote:Ah I did not read your post correctly, as said above no front fogs so the light switch (comms 2000 is it) would be different as well. Looks a good challenge but one well worth it as xexons are much better.

I have seen some exclusives without xexons.
You wouldn't need to change the com2000 as there is no difference electrically between a model with & without front fogs, it just doesen't have the front fog light symbol on it.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

C5Alan wrote:Ok I have a headlight that has a sort of laquer covering to it so sourced replacement ages ago finally got round to fitting it today (should have been in bed with the flu but couldnt take doing nothing any longer) after removing the old one I noticed the large silver box on the bottom of the new one making it xenon? Anyway it fitted fine and all the bulbs work but there is also a second power socket which does nothing? Now the thing is am I going to have problems with wiring? and if not I will be sourcing another one for passenger side as it looks cool or a new one for drivers if there is a problem

cheers guys
If all the lamps work then at that level I wouldn't worry about it BUT...:

By law you need headlamp washers which will mean sourcing the rams and pump and fitting the same I doubt that this is particularly difficult and probably not too expensive if you can source the bits from a breakers, without these it will fail the MOT.
There is a data connection between the headlights and the suspension ECU, this may be related to the "spare" connector you have, this is so the lights "know" about suspension height so the beam angle can be modified appropriately. If the wiring is there then the last thing that needs to be done is to Program the suspension ECU to tell it that it has HID's fitted, however in my experience not all BHI's have the logic to handle HIDs so without this the self leveling wont work and that would likely be an MOT failure as well.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

OK this sounds like more work than I really want to take on just want the car to work dont really want to fit washers and wiring and then sort a load of other stuff to make it work properly so will just try and source a normal head light and put it back to normal. But I will prob hold on to the light for the future as this could be a fun project but just not at the min. Plus I will need to fit fog lights too