Rocker Cover Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by MTND »

Hi All

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on changing a rocker cover gasket. I'm not doing it myself but wondered if anyone has any thoughts and pitfulls that I should look out for?
My cars a Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 SX with 152k on the clock.

Cheers

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by CitroJim »

Te breather hose between the cover and the oil filler pot gets hard and brittle Mark and is best replaced along with the main gasket.

Citroen call it an Oil Vapor Hose and it's available from your local dealer for not a lot under part no. 1180 86
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MTND

Post by MTND »

Cheers Jim
Thanks for the info

Regards
Mark
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

For that part try Peugeot as normally cheaper than citroen stealers i found when i did gasket change.
One other thing i found was to be carefull with bolting up the joint in inlet manifold as it bolts into alloy.
As when i did mine i found that they had gone loose as before had kacked them up plus over time they wear. so had inserts put in it
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

If you're pedantic, there's no rockers under that cover :D

As previously noted, the breather is the only trouble really, mine broke once got a replacement from a Peugeot dealer saying the equivalent is in the 306 TD, I think it was less than a tenner (but still too much for a bleedin' 6" hose).
It's a bit of a funny gasket due to the shape of the cover but easy enough to fit. Just make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean, and a little bit of sealant doesn't hurt if you want to go belt and braces.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is pressure there, especially as an engine wears. Bike people constantly grapple with this issue as the cover gets more stressed in a lot of applications (hotter and more crankcase pressure). Sealing the official gasket to both surfaces (well cleaned prior with solvent) is one approach; Hondabond and ThreeBond1211 are well respected. I've only ever used the latter and so far - no leaks...
MTND

Post by MTND »

Well all done today by Duxford Motor Group and all went well :-D I'm very pleased, they changed the breather hose as well and in fact they also cleaned up all the area around the cover so all looking spick and span!!! 8-) 8-)
Not only that they look over a couple of other things for me and charged £118 for the lot inc VAT, who says Citroen Dealers are Stealers :x they aren't all!! [-X

Anyway next thing to look at is a new centre part of the exhaust as after 17 years and 152k miles it might be about time for one?

Regards

Mark
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Can I pose a related question here as the comment that pressure on an older engine can cause a leak made me think of my car' problem. I did think this was probably a head gasket leak but impossible to see the problem area.

Whan under the car I can see oil dripping from a rear gland (I think this is a turbo link) and thought it may be leaking. As the oil was all over, top to bottom, the idea that it was being leaked on from above was more likely.
I can't see anything above this only the rocker cover so assume this is the problem.
Car is a 2001 90hdi

I am going to change the gasket, which I assume is the original, anyway as worth a try and will make sure it is sealed well when done.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
MTND

Post by MTND »

charentejohn wrote:Whan under the car I can see oil dripping from a rear gland (I think this is a turbo link) and thought it may be leaking. As the oil was all over, top to bottom, the idea that it was being leaked on from above was more likely.
Hi

I've had an advise of small leaks top and bottom for a number of years although I don't need to top up between services.
It might be that your leak coming from the gasket is gradually running down below?
How many miles has your car done? They all get some oil under the bonnet in the end :| but doing the "rocker cover gasket" may help?

Regards
Mark
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Sorry, should have said the mileage, 120k so I did expect an oily engine because of spills if nothing else.

The car doesn't seem to use any oil, or very little so not really worried. I am 99% certain it is the gasket as I can't see any parts above the oil 'drip' so assume it must be the gasket. I have some work to do soon changing an injector etc so may do it all in September or so.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
MTND

Post by MTND »

MTND wrote:Well all done today and all went well

Mark
Fatal last words as that was ten months ago and I've notice this weekend that there's oil around the rocker cover again :( !
I presume that as it's settled in the seal has been not quite right so may have to get it done again? Any thoughts does this happen sometimes that the seal is not easy to make tight?
I tried to tighten up the bolts a bit but I'm aware that they shouldn't be tightened to much so might have to go back to Duxford for another gasket? :?:

Mark
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I'm sure others will disagree, but I deliberately did not use any sealer on the cam cover gasket. More than forty years ago, I was taught that that a soft gasket is designed to 'give' to maintain a good seal as the sealed components contract and expand. Just like oils seals (which are a more complicated form of soft seal), soft gaskets start to leak with age when the polymer hardens and loses the essential ability to 'give'. At least one seating face of any new soft gasket should be be lightly lubricated with the appropriate fluid - clean engine oil in this case.

The original seal had been factory-fitted without any sealant (so clearly designed to move on both cover and head). It had only started to leak because it had gone hard with age (17 years) and the cover bolt nearest the sprocket was barely more than finger tight.

With all seals, absolute cleanliness is the key to success.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)