Turbo Tmer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thing
My Cars:

Turbo Tmer

Post by thing »

Do all Xantia TD fitted with turbo timer?
Anyway, mine dose not have one. I got a 2nd hand HKS turbo timer. Can anyone enlighten me on how to wire it to my Xantia TD?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What is a turbo timer ???
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

A turbo timer is a device which keeps the engine running after you have removed the ignition key and locked the door and walked off. It is designed for turbo charged cars so you don't have to sit and wait while the turbo cools down after a thrash. They aren't standard equipment on any turbo diesel car I can think of (or turbo petrol for that matter) and don't really see why you'd need/want one in a turbo diesel car?? I think they are illegal in this country anyway because it's illegal to leave a car unattended with it's engine running-even on a turbo timer.
Guru Meditation.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks Guru - I learn something every day - well almost!
I agree with you as to its legality and usefullness
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In line w/ Jeremy : tx Guru [:)]
- never heard of such a device - would certainly also be illegal here in DK.
Still I could see the use for it - if you live steep uphill requiring a bit caning on the engine just before you switch it off arriving at home. But then such a device would only be usefull if it by some means monitors the turbo speed.
Guru Meditation

I'm not sure exactly which parameters they monitor etc-guess it varies by turbo timer model but they basically just keep the motor running at idle speed for x amount of time then switch the engine off usually a minute or two. They are used quite a lot they days mainly by people with high performance turbo petrol cars I think.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

if you live steep uphill <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Of course leaving a Xantia in neutral on a steep hill would be asking for trouble.[B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Homer [:D]
I actually meant - if you live in a place where you HAVE to cane the engine a bit the last few 100 yd's to get home - then the turbo would have considerable rev's when you arrive at home.
Think about living in the country side - often you may then have a long stoney/potty/steep driveway.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Just let it idle for a minute when you get home and if you get bored do the citaerobics.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

In my experience maintenance is more important to PSA diesels than how they are driven.
For example a friend who had a Xantia TD regularly used to thrash his to maximum revs, took no special precautions with the turbo, but always changed the oil and filter (using good quality oil) when it was due. When he sold the car at around 225000 miles it was still running as new, with nil oil consumption and no obvious engine or turbo problems at all.
On the other hand I once had a BX TD that had been owned by an elderly couple who drove the car very gently, but hadn't changed the oil for 25000 miles - the engine was knackered by the time it got to 100000m [:(]
thing
My Cars:

Post by thing »

That's weird. All Xantia TD assembled in Malaysia has turbo timer fitted. Now I know why mine dose not have one. It is an imported model.
So, you guys think that I don't actually need the turbo timer on my Xantia TD? Dose turbo temperature related to engine temperature? For example, if engine temperature shoot up over 80 degree then I need to let turbo to cool down a bit.
Guru Meditation

Think the general consensus is that you don't need a turbo timer but you do need to ensure you change the oil at the service interval or preferably sooner and also make sure you leave the engine idling for at least ten seconds before you switch off to give the turbo time to stop spinning or let it idle for a minute or two after a hard run to let the turbo's bearings cool down.
Of course if a turbo timer is standard fit in your country then you may want to fit one-but in the uk no cars turbo petrol or diesel come with a turbo timer as standard.
Guru Meditation.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Not quite true . . the Subaru twin turbo has a turbo timer as standard in the U.K . .
//NiSk
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I've heard of a device that slow releases oil into the turbo when the turbo is spinning but there is no [or minimal engine oil pressure] not sure what its called but it may have been marketed by Vanaaken.
Incidentally we used to run a fleet of Xantia TD's as pool cars and I never heard of a turbo failure.
mark.
Guru Meditation

Well done Nisk, knew someone had to prove me wrong :-D