Sinker xantia scrap or keep, bosch fuel pump issues...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PhilGreaves

Re: Sinker xantia scrap or keep, bosch fuel pump issues...

Post by PhilGreaves »

thanks Malcolm. im sure it'll be more obvious when I get the Press reg out/car jacked up. Will you be at the national? Id love to meet the man who's been helping me all these years.

I told chris that id upload some photos of the rust on the car. Might be useful to other owners? we both agreed that the inner wing/underwing L shaped seam/extrusion is a big danger. so here it is...

why they made it that shape to 'scoop up' mud ill never know...
and heres above

That's about 2 inches. Despite the orange bubbles it feels solid so hopefully will be ok.

defo one to watch out for

straight through :shock: but notice how its only blown the seam rather than inner wing rust. I cleaned mine out with a tooth brush as soon as I noticed. Problem is you wont notice unless someone tells you or you see the seam go..when its too late!

Next the front wing rust trap chris covered in a recent mag. Notice here how the lower lip has rippled/distorted/bubbled. N/s wing much better implying stone chip/paint loss hastened it.

Then rear quarter all caused by the paintloss/chip near the door on the sill. Also the flange on the rear quarter panel itself.

Heres the other side. Note the rippled and rust near the bumper. This was repaired some years ago. hence the rust cant go forward towards the door due to the fiberglass repair. However last year for the mot to get it on the road for the icccr and 20 years of the xantia (the xantia is like the queen so has two birthdays :lol: me and chris decided :wink: :-D ) I had to replace the metal holder for the rear light as that has rusted through...due to the near side rear quarter rust. So it can get pretty bad. Thought it was odd that the light never had condensation in...guess I know why now..

Had a brief look underneath with my mirror and it seems fine bit of surface on the jacking pint that was repaired and on front subframe no doubt due to the underguard being missing. So hoping I can fertan and hammerite it all. I have a plan as you can tell...just need to think the order through..

two more things
1) drivers door window got scratched/chipped today. Any idea if later xantias had the same "cit logo Alarme Radio Code" sticker fitted otherwise its not going to be a straight window swap? As it would look odd having a sticker on the nearside and none on the drivers side...sigh parents! I can see that turning into a funny problem to sort out.
2) is rear suspension like the bx? i.e trailing arm bearings/worn bushes. It could be my imagination or uneven path but the rear wheels do look a bit /\..gulp..

And back to ebay..seen a bargain but I don't know if I trust the post office..and its too far north...(in fact ive never heard of it!) decisions decisions...
thanks
Phil
Last edited by PhilGreaves on 18 Jul 2013, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Xantia Columnist xantia@CitroenCarClub.org
1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS (winner now with working PAS!!)
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (mk 1a. Jan 1994 with antisink valve. Restored by chevronics..new rear quarters fitted etc :shock: )

2009 Citroen C3 1.6Hdi 16v 90bhp Exclusive
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is getting a bit scabby in places isn't it Phil, some Xantias seem to last and last and others go a bit frilly around the edges. What is yours like in the common Xantia rust place, the section where the rear wing meets the sill inside the rear door shut? What are the sills like?

I think my Activa has the alarm stickers, unless they changed the design of them. It might be an idea to go and ask at Citroen for them, if for nothing else than to see the look on their face! :lol:

Yes, its quite possible for the Xantia to have worn trailing arm bearings and look /\

Your certainly dedicated to that car, good luck with its restoration.

What is the bargain you have seen on ebay? :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

hello again chris.

The offside rear arch is rusting exactly where you describe as it gone stone chipped and not retouched/left as bare metal (in fact you can see it in the photo- near the door!!). Nearside is better but was accident damaged. Sills bubbly but solid. Again the paint came off- recurring theme here?! My dad catches his feet on them so its probably that. Don't forget inner wing seam as discussed at wetherby. I bought some bx spares so need to get some rust treatment which ill use on the xantia.

To be honest chris you should've seen the bx when I first got it/took it to the national rally at gaydon in found condition. That had rusty: sills, a pillar, door hinge, wings, damaged bonnet, bumpers, shot interior, stuck calipers, seized height correctors. Then it needed service and cambelt change and a host of other things. By comparison the xantia is relatively simple. Wings sills and rear quarters will need doing in next 5 years. But engine and hydraulics ok, except for pressure regulator. Swings and roundabout really.

Though in all honesty it should be scrapped. I guess im too attached to it and I cant see me getting rid of it..unless it got written off etc. I was at the garage where we bought it from the other day. Its been levelled! Going to be houses apparently.

Yes they did change the design of the stickers spotted an hdi in a carpark. parents- still cant believe she did it! No I wouldn't ask my mate on parts such a silly question- gotta keep him on side :wink: theres a tip for you!

Ahh worn arms can be added to the list.

The bargain was a zx rally car 1/18 solido in ultra rare red. From Stockton. Royal mail however meant it ended up here in pieces. Got it back together all right though- I have a photo depending on how interested you are!

Did some more cleaning today: I took the edge off the front offside wing..with a tooth brush!

Heres the 'damage' and the dust from the front wing, and bits of metal: [nb how the corner has fallen off]

Unfortunately the bolt has sized/rusted so I cant get the wing off. I was able to bend the plastic inner wing up and the inner sill/end looks/feels solid.

heres the dust from the osr quarter. Note the gravel/lumps of stone these had to be hammer and chiselled out! ! the metal feels ok, very solid.

im hoping now ive removed the crap behind the panel may be salvageable..at least for a while. Heres it cleaned:

Did the accident damage nearside a few weeks ago. Then I realised why it had rusted again despite being repaired by 'experts' :evil: Theyd put the inner wing plastic mudguard thingy back without any screws/clips. its literally sat there in the wrong position with a gap of 4cm (yes 4cm) at the door end. So presumably it flaps about in the breeze/when moving and lets water right up. I knew they were sh*t when he said "I cant give you a guarantee coz its l reg"..still parents paid for it I suppose. Also my mum caught the car on the hedge: it created a hole in the nearside rear quarter. you can see the noise reduction foam !

Parts list is getting bigger:
-interior..long shot I suppose
-front wings (green?)
-plastic inner wings (all 4) and screws/clips.

At the moment im waiting to hear back from Pleiades about a quote for the pressure regulator as that's first thing to do. Can anyone confirm their email address :?:

see you all at the national. Still not sure when but hey ho could be Saturday and sunday or just sunday.
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (mk 1a. Jan 1994 with antisink valve. Restored by chevronics..new rear quarters fitted etc :shock: )

PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

right getting somewhere now. Bx is safely away so i'm going to phone my mate up to help me jack up the xantia. Im not daft enough to jack up a 20 year old car without having my mate inspect it first.

One question. Best tool for removing hydraulic pipes? I've read on here about some pipes rounding nuts off thereby damaging unions. I intend to remove the pressure reg and a few suspension pipes (annoyingly around the rear) if that's relevant. Also I think I've found a sphere removal tool but more on that hen I photograph it.

Have found an effective rust treatment so not too concerned now.

Thanks
Phil

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Buy a decent union flare spanner set for doing them however.. If the unions are badly rusted on the hex then the flare won't always be easy to remove and I find a good set of mole grips are resorted to.

However the regulator unions are uusually very good and come undone.. 12mm and 9 or 8 mm
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130880833367? ... 26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

set of these should help you a bit...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you find the unions are rusted, introduce them to a weeks worth of Plus Gas. That should help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

[quote="demag"][/quote]

Nothing to say dave?? :rofl2: :-D :P

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

citroenxm wrote:
demag wrote:

Nothing to say dave?? :rofl2: :-D :P
He came on put that thing should be scrapped you lunatic then thought better of it then bu**ered off!! True story... :) on a more serious note no I have no idea...

Just reading about sealey tools now and sorry to be a pain you mentioned that 8mm may be required. But that isn't included in the above set. Any idea how important that is? just curious, may get the sealey and a cheaper set to include 8mm if its that important- few rear suspension pipes need to come off as well as pressure reg. (did I mention that?)

Still here

Phil
Last edited by PhilGreaves on 26 Jan 2014, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

8 mm very important .. there's loads of 8 mm in fact majority of them are 8 mm on your car .. i only posted the link to show you what type of spanner I exactley meant..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

citroenxm wrote:8 mm very important .. there's loads of 8 mm in fact majority of them are 8 mm on your car .. i only posted the link to show you what type of spanner I exactley meant..
excellent thanks very much for that. I shall adjust my spending/buying accordingly.

see you guys later, I'm off before demag comes back :wink: joking I'm off to look at tools

thanks

Phil

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

The thread came up on my phone for some reason and I made a comment about one of the early posts. I then realized it was totally out of context but couldn't completely delete it. To make a more up to date comment. This car has been a trial by fire and I think you did brilliant Phil just tackling one thing after another.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

Primary issues: I've been approaching things in the wrong order. I'm going to have to do rust first otherwise I wont be able to access the rear quarter when the fluid/system is depressurised.

Anybody know how to remove the rear quarter panel inner plastic mudguard thingy? (offside) Can't find details in either manual or on here. I've removed the plastic pushfit screws but it seems to be catching somewhere, and wont come off. Please don't tell me I have to remove the bumper first?

Secondary issue I bought a bonnet catch clip off ebay to make working underneath/under bonnet easier. But it doesn't fit!! The catch is too small to take the bonnet stay..more worrying is that all the others on ebay look to be the same: small and black. My old one was white with I think a makers name stamped on the back...grr..so no idea what to do about that: any thoughts?!

[only lost £2 I suppose but still very annoying especially as I made the mistake of fitting it and on removal it broke so now I've got plastic rattling in the bonnet..]

I think demag we have to accept your phone has bad taste :lol: Thanks for the kind words and I'll keep at it. Whether or not it'll see the road again is another matter. but hey ho..

more on rust removal later....need to buy some equipment...

thanks
phil

PhilGreaves

Post by PhilGreaves »

Have been trying to remove pressure regulator.

Have managed to remove 12mm pip on top, but 9mm wont budge.

First '9mm' was so tight I couldn't get flare on now its too slack im thinking its rounded? has also been painted blue which is very worrying as service history states noting done around pressure regulator but sphere changes. Should I try to force an 8mm on? disconnect pipe at other end? (though not sure where it goes).

hmm doesn't seem possible to disconnect at other end as I cant see where it goes! Is definitely rounded (no not by me!). Still cant work out what blue paint is for (marking a leak so has been over tightened?). Safe options people? lol wish some of you lived close by: could just pop down and have a look, tis a lonely place underneath ones broken xantia :(

Need to get things moving on this as I need to get the bodywork done and get it motd etc

thanks.