Xantia hydraulic pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skylark
New User

Xantia hydraulic pump

Post by skylark »

Hi all. Ive build a boat and chose to convert and install a Peugeot XUD9 1900 D turbo engine from a 1995 Xantia. Ive had 3 cars with this engine and love it cos i just gives and gives. Mine has the bosch pump which I chose for its ability to run on veg oil.

Ok, question. My engine has the Citroen belt driven hyd pump below the alternator which I wish to use to power the double acting ram for the rudder. I have installed a Danfoss steering unit which has 4 ports, 2 for flow and return to and from ram, one for pressure from hyd pump and one for the header tank.

On the engine hyd pump there are 2 outlets into 6mm steel pipe. one gives high pressure, I know cos ive tried it, so this goes to the Danfoss unit. The other outlet also gives pressure, but reduced. There is also a rubber hose pipe which I know goes to the tank.

What i wish to know is, where on the car did the lower pressure pump outlet go to? what did it supply.?

I heard in a youtube featuring a white Xantia there are 6 pistons in the pump feeding the high pressure outlet and a further 2 feeding the other. What does the lower pressure outlet supply.?

Im looking for a home for the lower pressure pump outlet and feel tempted to put it into the danfoss unit

Here is my boat blog if your interested.

http://www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks in anticipation.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia hydraulic pump

Post by Xaccers »

The output from the bell end went to the power steering, powered by 6 pistons in the pump, the other one on the pump body (there are 2 interchangable outputs, one has the thread for the pipe, the other has just a hex bolt to blank it off - might be useful if you need to get the output from a different angle) feeds the suspension and brakes.
The o-ring on the bell end goes with age, as does the o-ring on the 2 hex outputs, replacement o-rings are pennies so worth doing just in case.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

isnt one outlet for the suspension/brakes and the other outlet for power steering,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Yes the outlet for the steering is regulated pressure by the pump itself, the other on the pump body is unregulated and will keep building pressure until something goes bang, this port goes directly to the pressure reguylator on the gearbox to absorb pulsing from the pump and regulate pressure at between 145-170bar.
Note the steering feed pipe is a high pressure flexi to help obsorb pulsing from the pump.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............